Tuesday, March 25, 2008

FOLLOW THE LEADER

I talked about the raging river of death yesterday. Well with the treacherous walk down the river came two night of camping under the stars. Thank goodness I was with people who knew what they were doing.

Roll mental camera...

Camping is not my thing, unless you consider fully furnished cabins with central heat and air camping. SO showing up to my father-in-laws house with just a sleeping bag and toothbrush, solidified me as the comic relief for the entire trip. As we started to pack the truck I was amazed at all of the things they were bringing along. I would have been up the river without a paddle if it wasn’t for the camping masters. They packed firewood, a full size gas grill, heaters, lanterns, tents, cots, rakes, shovels and a dozen other things I am not sure I even recognized. I realized at that moment that this city boy was going to be roughing it. Images of Deliverance came to mind. Anybody got a banjo.


When we got to the campsite my theory changed. Now I understood if we wouldn’t have brought everything we did we really would have been roughing it. We used everything we brought and by the time night fell we had the campsite in livable condition.


I have never been much of a follower. Usually I am the one in charge. But I am humble enough to know my limitations and will gladly follow when those limitations are met. Until recently being a Christ follower for me, was a simple as packing a sleeping bag and a toothbrush. But now I feel I need to know more of what to pack so I can be better prepared. There are many people that I come into contact with, some face to face and some by blogs, that have their truck packed with all the good stuff. I enjoy learning how to pack from each of you so thanks. Maybe some day I can return the favor.


Who do you know that can use some help with their packing?

Any good people with their trucks packed that I can learn from?

Any good camping stories out there?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I always like to make sure my spare tire is aired up and that I have a tire iron:)

Love "roughing" it as you say! Yes there are many things you need to pack and take with you, but boy, it sounds like y'all weren't roughing it too much...firewood, gas grill, rakes, etc. you use the fire to cook with and find the wood:)

I'm with you though, I am still learning what all to "pack" for my camping trip of life, but hey, Jesus walked the desert for 40 days and nights with only the Father, so why can't we do the same??? Just call me "Survivorman", maybe more like Bear Gryls, gotta have the pros teach me before I do the hard stuff though!

Theresa said...

You have been helping me figure out what to "pack". You are always so thought provoking. You have a way of looking at things and making them "Packable". Thanks

Robin Meadows said...

Hanging with people who have "been there done that" is always a good thing. However, one can learn MUCH by pioneering! Not easy, but sometimes lessons better learned and not forgotten.

Thanks for always sharing a lesson here...helps me stay "in tune".

Oh, and check out Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost for His Highest"---it's been stepping on my toes!

Heidi said...

CAMPING - is so fun.. unless you forget the TP and have to use leaves. I was raised in Oregon and my parents loved to camp and we went to Hell's canyon and we would hike and do campfires and just have fun. The only drag is no ac, mosquitos, and the toilet, but jumping into the lakes, skipping rocks, finding new trails left by bears or rattlesnakes skins was so fun.
I like the analogy here though. We constantly have to be packed and ready to go in our journey with Christ. Sometimes we forget something like maybe the word and MISS the opportunity. I'm a leader too, but I love to follow for the breeze affect. Cya Friend :)

Abbi said...

I feel as you do about camping. Eek. :) I wouldn't have the first clue about what to pack. The closest I've come to 'real' camping is staying in a fully-loaded cabin.

Thanks for swinging by my blog to comment. Always great to have new visitors! :)

Anonymous said...

Man I love camping...I think I love the contrast it brings to my life. I am always moving and doing "stuff"....When I go camping I start prepping the camp site and getting all the busy work done, but as we finish up and as night falls I feel at such a relaxed stage and a peacefulness. I mean the quality time with family and friends around a fire is just the best!
Then looking up and seeing the masses of stars in the sky. It makes me realize my "busyness" is for nothing...Anyone who has ever been camping knows the whole feeling...Its great.