Tuesday, October 7, 2008

LOSS OF FOCUS 1 of 2

That blank stare that tells anyone who looks that the lights are not on, the wheels aren't turning and the hamster has turned in for the night. Yep been there.

Roll mental camera...

Connor, my nine year old, was doing his homework the other night after we got back from Nebraska. It was late but he really wanted to get it done.

Soon he asked me to come over to help him. He needed to fill in the missing word in the following sentence, "The repair man turned the (blank) to adjust the TV's picture." Now for my generation or older that question would be pretty easy, but for a nine year old this was dang hard. He has never seen a TV with a dial on it.

Even after I hinted around and he finally guessed the word he couldn't refocus on his work. He had lost his homework mojo. He was off on a tangent asking questions about old stuff and how it worked back then. That one word took him off track.

Do you find that to be true in your life?

Headed one way and then "oh look something shiny," and off you go?

Yep me too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've missed you and noticed you were gone. But you knew that. :)

I head home and plan to read. I think I will just lay down and read that book for awhile. Then the one thing that always throws me off is checking the mail. Oh and then just let me balance the checkbook really really quick....Yea I can lose focus pretty easily.

Anonymous said...

oh, yes, focus is not one of my gifts. In fact, I'm checking out your blog instead of working.

I almost always have several (and I mean several!) tabs open in Firefox. Constantly bouncing from one task to another...sigh...

Glad your back!

deleise said...

Yes, my kids do that and so do I. With my kids I think those times are some of the best learning opportunities because they are the ones asking the questions.

Anonymous said...

I doesn't take much for me to travel off into an entire different zone than everyone else. Shiny catches my eye everytime!