Monday, September 22, 2008

THE FAIR

For my 150th post I thought I would write about an Oklahoman's favorite time of the year. The State Fair is a season in itself to most Oklahomans. They shortened it a few years ago from a massive 16 days down to a mere 11 and we were not happy about it. So most people make up for that by cramming 16 days worth of fun into about 6 hours. I just like to sit back and watch.

Roll mental camera...

Growing up if you wanted to ride the Midway rides you had to buy tickets and shell out 4 on this ride and 5 on that one. But in this new era of over indulgence the tickets just don't cut it anymore so the wrist band was born.

For a mere $25, one person can ride all the rides you want for the entire day. What a bargain (I'm kidding). But Connor my oldest sure enjoyed it. He jumped on every ride he could and tried his hardest to be the cool rider by raising his hands and cheering the whole time. But on a few of the rides he bit off more than he could chew.

The one ride that went upside down and spun around while dropping 30 feet turned him a bit pale. I could see the look of terror on his face as he blurred past me. But by the end of the terror rides he had usually shaken the fear and was back to full enjoyment. Well at least he always said how much he loved the ride after it was over.

I wear a wristband like that but it cost a whole lot more than $25. Jesus dying on that cross has given me a wristband to wear for eternity. I don't have to worry about times when I bite off more than I can chew. Sure those times can be terrifying, but I know that He will bring me out of it and into full joy. Just glad mine lasts more than a day.

Do you have your wristband on?

What feeling does it give you?

Do you have a ride that gave you the look of terror?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have my wristband on. I even show it to people. I feel secure and blessed to know where I am going and who I belong too.

I hate the ferris wheel. I love roller coasters.

Anonymous said...

I sure do.

I'm with Theresa. I hate the ferris wheel, and I had to endure it for my little ones.

Kim Heinecke said...

This was a great post. Love that thought.