Tuesday, February 26, 2008

POWDER KEGS

I often think about the powder kegs that I have carelessly tossed around in my life. They may not blow up in my face, but they might in one of my family members.

Roll mental camera…

When I was young my father made decorations for our living room. Being pharmacist he brought home a huge assortment of expired pills of all different colors and shapes, layered them in huge glass bowls, and put them on top of our book shelves.

Is the “powder keg” coming into view yet? As I said I was young probably around 4 or 5 and these bowls fascinated me. So, I of course had to investigate. I slowly climbed the book shelf until I got to the top. I reached out to move the bowl over so I could see it better and I am sure you can envision the rest. Yep, you guessed it, the glass bowl fell to the floor and exploded in a rainbow of fruit flavors (And no these were not skittles). Well to a kid my age the explosion was even more fun then the pills in a bowl. If my parents wouldn’t have come in to pull me away I probably would have tried eating a few to see if they tasted as good as they looked (pick your favorite skittle color and insert here).

My dad had innocent thoughts when he brought home the “powder keg” of pills, but to a 4 year old it was too intriguing just to look at. I had to light that fuse and BOOM!!!! Now I try to avoid creating “powder kegs” with words or actions that might lead a person I care about into harms way.

Did you set off any “powder kegs” when you were younger that put you in harms way?

Who left a “powder keg” for you to investigate?


How many have you rolled out there yourself?


How do we teach our kids to avoid these “powder kegs” in life?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the question that I have to ask is not "if we made any powder kegs", but how many. I think we all have either made or fallen victim to a "powder keg" going off in our faces. However, it is whether we choose to wallow in our own mess of the explosion, or better yet, how we choose to clean ourselves and learn from the explosion to the face. I pray that we all have had the insight to learn from those shards of glass and poisonous skittles that "fell off our shelves" and are blessed to have "parents" to keep us from diving further in to the mess and instead helping to pull us up out of it before it gets worse. Thanks for the insight Rog!

Theresa said...

When I was 3 I locked myself in the bathroom and my mom had to call the fire department to get me out. While in there I ate most of a bottle of children's asprin. No harm came of that. But still to this day I remember giggling like crazy when the fire axe came through the door. Not sure if it qualified as a powder keg but it was and still is funny to me. :)

Thanks for your prayers. It is nice to know that there are tons of people calling for my healing. :)