Wednesday, February 20, 2008

WHAT WOULD YOUR KIDS SAY? 2 OF 3

Gina over at Jabberfrog says… “Children are not subordinate Christ followers,” and I couldn’t agree more. They are also not subordinate consumers. They may not have the ability to spend the way we do, but they still have the same urges.

roll mental camera…

In Toon Town (kid church) this week they asked an ice breaker question to the kids about asking someone what their favorite car is. I immediately thought that I would hear answers like sports car, SUV, convertible or something else as generic. Boy was I wrong. The first 5 answers that I heard were Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin and then convertible. And I thought adults had high expectations for their cars.

So, as I mentioned in the last post, the hour in kid church every week isn’t the answer to selfishness but part of the equation. We have all heard the saying “kids are like sponges.” The hour worth of living water they absorb at church is not going to outweigh the selfish cocktail we give them to suck up the rest of the week.

Do you find yourself driving down the road and commenting on cars that is nicer, newer or cooler than the one you have now with your son within ear shot?
Do you find yourself drooling on the new purse you want with your daughter in tow?
We are guilty in one way or another.

Do you worry about setting your kids up for a life of habitual selfishness?

I do

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The hour worth of living water they absorb at church is not going to outweigh the selfish cocktail we give them to suck up the rest of the week."

poetry... pure poetry

I can only guess how many times my daughter has watched me change outfits b/c this one was too snug and that one was too 'fall-ish'. And that's just clothing!

sobering

Anonymous said...

good, my new friend...the cocktail line was my favorite as well-kinda made me think for a moment...
Thanks for the contribution. It is amazing what kids pick up on.

Roger Garrett said...

Gina and Jes- thanks a bunch for the comments