Tuesday, September 16, 2008

SELLING DRINKS 2 OF 4

back to selling drinks at the Oklahoma State football game many many moons ago, and I mean many.

Roll mental camera...

I order to make good money selling things to people in a stadium you have to scream stupid sayings like a New York carnie. I am not sure why, but it is carnie law so they say. No, I have no idea who "they" are.

So that explains why I never made good money. I couldn't bring myself to be creative in selling drinks. I heard guys yelling all kinds of stuff like, "Get your ice cold thirst quenching Coke here," or "Frosty cold Coke just waiting to please here."

Yes, you had to end every sales pitch with "here" just so they would know it was you talking and not the other guy with the cotton candy.

So my sales were directly relational to the weather. HOT lots of money, COLD not so much.

I am definitely guilty of not screaming "Get your one way ticket to heaven here," or "Got your good news and salvation here." If it is a hot crowd full of Christians I have no issues talking it up. But put me in a cold room of non believers and I get quiet in a hurry. I guess I think they will look at me like a New York carnie if I do pipe up.

Do you talk more openly about your faith to Christians than non?

Does the Jesus freak label scare you?

Does the guy saying "here" ever help you locate him?

2 comments:

Theresa said...

I talk more openly about my faith with nons. Believers already know their faith. I do talk openly with them also but the non believer is who I want to capture. Who I want to open their eye to God's Grace and Love.

The Jesus Freak label doesn't bother me a bit. My mom calles me a Bible thumper. :)

Anonymous said...

The older I get the easier this has become (speaking openly of my faith)...I'm not sure if it's age, or just an understanding of how short life really is and how differently my life would have been without Christ.