Thursday, June 12, 2008

BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt when they say “I tried my hardest” but that only goes so far. I might have been born at night (which I wasn’t), but it wasn’t last night.

Roll mental camera…

2 weeks after one of my typists came back from a 3 week medical leave her production was still only 20% of the standard. She said she was trying as hard as she could but… but… but… I had given her almost 2 full weeks so I couldn’t give her the benefit of the doubt any longer.

From my desk I can view any employee’s computer so the next day I logged into hers. Out of the next 3 hours I watched her spend over an hour looking at a photographer’s website, over an hour on myspace.com and the rest of the time reading and responding to joke emails on her personal email account.

Now if she would have been looking at my wife’s photography website I would have forgiven her, but she wasn’t (kidding of course).

I confronted her with that the next morning and low and behold she hit the standard with no problem. Amazing how getting called out like that can miraculously cure what ails you.

I hear myself pray all the time, “God I am trying so hard but…” Could you imagine if God whipped out his bull horn and called us out every time we weren’t hitting the standard? I think His bull horn for me would only be silent when I slept.

How far are you away from the standard you think God has for you?

Ever been busted with your “hand in the cookie jar” so to speak?

What is your favorite “can’t pull the wool over my eyes” saying?

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Yup.. been busted. I was texting on my business cell. $50 later I stopped. :)

Anonymous said...

heidi, wow...$50 later you stopped?? speechless here much. (grin)
Fortunately, I'm my own boss. And I never bust me.

Natalie Witcher said...

I don't work. wait, yeah i do. My kids don't bust me, I just tell them I'm "working"

Unknown said...

been busted plenty of times, but it was the only way I learned. I am sure I fall pretty short of God's standard for me, but then again, the great thing about his grace is that he has already forgiven me and accepts me the way I am....broken!!!