Wednesday, June 11, 2008

COMIC RELIEF

I was and still am what they call in the business, “the comic relief”. Not sure who they are or what business they are in but it just sounded good.

Roll mental camera…

When I was in high school I was always one to lead the homecoming skits, roasts or any other adventure that was humorous. I played many characters from Saturday Night Live including the “pathological liar”, “landshark”, “Hans and Frans”, “guy on the news desk”, and “Samurai Deli”.

I also spent homecoming week my senior year playing the role of Elwood Blues along side my female counterpart who played Jake Blues. These characters were of course from one of the funniest movies of all times, “The Blues Brothers”.

We actually lip synced (with all of the dancing and the flip) “Everybody Needs Somebody to Love” from the movie during the homecoming pep rally. We of course won the competition against the other classes. I actually have a video of most of these characters and skits and if I can figure out how to get it from VHS to my computer I will post them

I have always felt that laughter is the best medicine. I have usually always been the first to try and bring levity into any depressed situation.

But until recently I always thought that I had to leave the humor out of the conversation when I was talking about faith and God. I thought you had to talk serious to get someone to listen or I might offend them. I am actually finding that I can talk to people and touch them far deeper when I can bring some humor and smiles into the conversation.

This blog and the comments have really helped me be able to tie in a good message with humorous stories. So thanks

What is your style for talking about your faith?

Do you worry your style might scare someone off that needs Christ?

5 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

Roger, I'm just a simple, cut-and-dried person. I shoot straight. (now, my husband....LOL)

Sometimes, I sure wish I had your light-hearted, humorous personality! ; )

Use all that you are for His glory!! It works.

(PS - saw your comment at Anna's blog about Cody. He told me he's now known as "Anna Meadows' boyfriend". I don't think he minds too much ; )

Heidi said...

super duper casual..

Theresa said...

I am with Heidi Super Casual. I am also a By Example person. If He forgives me he certainly forgives you, etc.

You are my laughter release. I literally on Fridays jump to you first!

Natalie Witcher said...

You KNOW I'm in for a chuckle!

Anonymous said...

My style kind of changes on what part of the bible I share. When I'm speaking to someone who's really "heady" I put it in Matthew type style. If I'm talking to a "lover" I put it in John style, with my own little character mixed in. I don't scare people off, but sometimes, regardless of what "style" is employed - people just don't want to hear it.