Tuesday, June 10, 2008

NOT GOOD

I am so not good at fasting. I can eat lunch and not eat again until lunch the next day when I am busy and don't think about it. But when I know I am fasting my belly starts rumbling the minute my feet hit the floor in the morning. Then all I do is dream about food all day and can't focus on anything, let alone God.

So with the OnePrayer fast starting today I have been dreading the fast. But I have come to the conclusion that fasting doesn't have to be from food. Please fill me in if that conclusion is flawed or if anything that would usually occupy your time can be fasted from.

So I have decided to fast from reading blogs for the day. That eats up time that I can spend in prayer. So I wrote this last night and will check back in 24 hours from now. But please comment so I will have something to read when I log back in.

For those of you fasting in all sorts of different ways good luck.

What do you fast from, is it always food related?

What is your hardest fast?

Are you able to really use that time to connect with God?

5 comments:

deleise said...

Absolutely you can fast from other things. Anything that sucks up your time or thoughts. Natalie is blog fasting on Tuesdays, too.

Anonymous said...

Someone once recommended that before I fast, I check with God to see if that's what He's looking for. I've fasted from television and telephone before. I've fasted from sugar (cuz I love it so much). But sometimes, like today, I intended to fast and just decided that I'd pray and worship (which is pretty much what a fast is), but I didn't want to be distracted by my hunger and often, that's exactly what a fast does to me, distracts rather than helps me focus. Good luck?!

Anonymous said...

I don't think fasting has to always be from food. The pregnant or nursing mom can't fast.

Chris and I are fasting from TV for the month of June during the One Prayer series.

I've also fasted from sweets, coffee, and other things.

Natalie Witcher said...

I'm fasting from blogging too!

Bobbi West said...

I was talking to a friend of mine about this very thing today! She said that when she 'food' fasts she spends more time thinking about how hungry she is then thinking about God, let alone talking with him. I mentioned to another friend of mine that I haven't ever felt called to fast (food fast that is) and she said "That doesn't suprise me, you've been pregnant or nursing since you've been walking with Christ." My family is on a semi permanent fast from cable or Direct TV. Hardest fasting for me is internet! While most days I can't give it up completely due to work to be done, I can give up the 'stuff' that I do like blogs and emails and YouTube videos.