Monday, June 23, 2008

CHANNEL SURFING

The power of the remote control, it is how I imagine a jedi night feels holding a light saber. Now if I could just learn the force enough to change the channels with my mind when the batteries go dead.

Roll mental camera…

The other night I was lying in bed with the remote and Shelly was frustrated by the sheer velocity of channel surfing I was doing. When I did stop on something it only lasted until a commercial and then I was gone. That really drives Shelly nuts, but hey I might miss something on the other channels.

Women, as I have come to understand, like to view a program in its entirety. Men on the other hand want to watch 43 programs at the same time in small chunks. We may not see much of any of them but we can’t ignore the fact that God blessed us with ninja like remote abilities. I digress…

I think the true case of our flipping is our lack of patience. If the show doesn’t grab us right away we are gone. We have no time to let it develop.

Sounds like my walk with Christ 90% of the time. The worship song didn’t grab me so I detach. The sermon didn’t have a cool catch phrase so it is in one ear and out the other. This part of the bible is boring so I skip it.

I have just wanted it all to talk to me and draw me in. I didn’t want to have to make it mean something. I need to work on putting down my mental remote, try staying on the channel until the program ends, and finding the meaning for myself.

Do you find yourself detaching when things don’t draw you in?

Do you need to put down your remote?

Watch a whole show or show hop like crazy?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude my skills on the remote are just sick. Like catching a fly with chop sticks! Drives me lady crazy that I flip through the channels but I think she's just jealous of da' skills!

Robin Meadows said...

Good point. TV watching isn't one of my favorite things to do, so usually I don't mind the channel surfing. Dirk is pretty good at watching two shows at a time ; )

Robin Meadows said...

Good point.

TV watching isn't one of my favorite things to do, so usually I don't mind the channel surfing. Dirk is pretty good at watching two shows at a time ; )

Heidi said...

Split screen baby!!!

I hate not having the remote and I find myself hiding it.. ha!!

Theresa said...

I am even worse than most. I tape shows on the dvr so that I can fast forward through the commercials. I will turn the tv off and not watch anything while it tapes something that is on. Just so I don't have to see another commercial for Mighty Putty. :)

Unknown said...

Love to surf, besides having a DVR, "the guide" is amazing! I can watch one show while scrolling through the junk to find my shows to skip through, memorize a few channels and then hop back and forth between all of them...but wait, as I write that it DOES kinda sound like my walk.... One minute engulfed by what is on, the next skipping on to see what else might be out there, memorizing one or two things and continuing on....but us guys normally start off with the best show to begin with, and if you are like me or your walk is like mine, I normally always end up at the best show I started off with.