Monday, August 4, 2008

ALL IN A NAME

So how many times have you heard your kid say “that isn’t the kind I like.” The word “kind” could be changed to style, name brand, color, or flavor.

Roll mental camera…

I wrote about my wreck of a bike last week with its spray painted frame and mixed matched wheels. But I definitely don’t remember caring that it was like that. I thought it was cool.

I wore hand me down clothes that were too big or faded. Jeans with patches all over the knees that had been hemmed a dozen times and let out. But still I don’t remember caring.

The first time I remember caring about anything that I had or wore was the first time my parents bought me a pair of corduroy pants that had a big patch on the back pocket that said HUSKY.

I know it was just a name brand but I was a pretty chubby kid and that patch just gave all the other kids ammunitions. Not what an overgrown boy needs.

I am sure I wasn’t the only one that grew up not caring about name brands, etc. Man times sure have changed and it is getting harder and harder to keep my kids from caring about that crud. But honestly I don’t think I could dress them in clothes that were jacked up as bad as some of the ones I wore.

Did you care about that stuff as a kid?

Do you now?

How would your kids answer the above questions?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't care until I reached junior high. I still remember my first pair of designer jeans - Jordache. Back then, those nearly broke the bank at $30. A far cry from the $200 True Religions.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know or care much until I was well into my late 20's. Even then ... I'm fortunate that my sons aren't snobs about their clothing. As long as the clothes look like everyone else's they don't much care what label is attached.

I lived in my grandmother's house as a child. My aunt was six years older than me. I thought it an honour to be handed down her saddle shoes and floppy poodle skirt (until I was old enough to realize how silly I must have looked).

Do you suppose they'll ever bring "earth shoes" back? I don't care if they're brand name but they were so comfortable.

Theresa said...

I hated when my mom bought my gym shoes at K-Mart because all the kids knew it. They were TRAXX shoes.

My kids are pretty OK with normal clothes. They also know that I am only willing to spend so much. If they want something special they can buy it with their money. It always cracks me up how unimportant the name brand is when they are buying.

Anonymous said...

Yes when my buddies had Polo and I had Knights of The Round Table! I still tought I was cool...

Unknown said...

Unfortunately I was to some extent, but I think it was mor along the lines of envy. We never could afford all of the fancy name brand clothes, maybe one name brand item a year or something like that...and they had to be on sale!!! Now it doesn't matter to me in the slightest, the cheaper the better...and normally more comfortable too!!!! :)

Kim Heinecke said...

I cared when I was young but it didn't matter since we were so broke! My boys only care a little and I try to remember what it was like to be a kid. But then I "mom-out" on them and remind them how petty stuff really is...

Natalie Witcher said...

I totally cared. Let's see:
Guess jeans
Forenza sweater
Jellies
Coach purses
Liz claiborne anything
Colours
Gap
Banana Republic
Keds
Units

yes, I cared. Problem was....my parents didn't. gerr