Tuesday, August 19, 2008

THE WAIT

Wait… wait… wait… wait… WAIT FOR IT

Roll mental camera…

I was just about to turn 16 and couldn’t wait to get a car. Let me rephrase that. I couldn’t wait to get a car that would keep me up with the Jones’.

Yes most of the kids that I went to school with had their car bought for them by their parents. Yes they were really expensive and brand new. No my parents weren’t going to buy me anything.

But that didn’t matter because I was destined to get a cool kid car. So I took every penny I could come up with (about $1200) and opened the paper looking for the only car that would work. Drum roll please. Yes I was looking for a BMW. I just had to have that status symbol. Believe it or not I actually found a BMW for $1200.

It was a 1969 model 2002 in fair condition, which translated really meant a primer painted rusty metal box with wheels, an engine (kinda) and a transmission that would sometimes stay attached to the car. But it did have a spot on the hood that I could stick a new BMW emblem after I bought it.

No matter how hard people tried to talk me out of it I just couldn’t wait to get it.

Until very recently I was stuck in the “can’t wait” line. God was always a fall back only when I couldn’t do it myself on my time line. I have started to realize the power of waiting.

Do you need to wait?

Do you have an impulse buy you regret and should have waited on?

3 comments:

Kim Heinecke said...

Someone told me once it is hard to wait on the Lord, but worse to wish you had.

How true.

Unknown said...

Patience and waiting.....Be leery of praying for patience....you just might get it;)

Anonymous said...

In terms of big shop items, I've learned to put it down and leave the store. If I wake up the next morning and still want it - and I can afford it, I go back and get it. Most of the time, I don't go back. This reveals my terrible tendency to purchase on impulse. As for waiting on God, I'm in a good place to wait - finally. But, it hasn't always been this smooth sailing in the waiting game.