Monday, August 25, 2008

TIGHT SPACES

Tight spaces freak me out. I am not a fan, never have been, never will be.

Roll mental camera...

I used to spend some time out at my cousin's farm when I was a kid. No we did not go cow tipping. I am not sure that is even possible.

One time we were on a hike and found a big metal storm tube that ran underneath the road. My cousin wanted so badly to crawl through it to the other side. I could see the light from the other side so I figured it couldn't be that bad.

The tube/pipe was just big enough for me to crawl into but not big enough to turn around in. I started out fine but the farther I got into the tube the more freaked out I got. About half way through I was in full panic mode. I couldn't turn around and I didn't want to go any farther forward. CLAUSTROPHOBIA

I feel that way quite a bit about my faith. I can't and don't want to turn around and go back but going farther scares me as well. Where will it take me? What will I have to sacrifice? Will I lose all that comfort I have grown to like so much?

Are you stuck in the tube?

Does giving it all up for Him scare you?

Anyone else claustrophobic?

6 comments:

Natalie Witcher said...

I'm not claustrophobic. I could be locked in a closet and be fine. Just give me a book and a flashlight. Still, if i didn't have a flashlight I know eventually someone will get me out. Now, being stuck in a tube is a different story. But you could see the end right? weird.

Um, with God you might as well be ready to give up everything. It's not scary, just um, different.

Theresa said...

I get a different kind of clausterphobia...When I go to crowded places like concerts I have have to scope out where all the exits are becasue I get scared I won't find my way out.

It can be hard sometimes to give it all to God until you realize that it isn't yours to give it is his anyways.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know I was claustrophobic until I went for an MRI. I wondered why they kept asking me if I was claustrophic. I was in that little tube for about a minute when I yelled for help. Literally. It was awful. I had to reschedule and come back when I could get an IV of valium.

Terrible. Terrible, I tell ya. ANd, just reading your story made me take deep breaths.

As for giving it all to Him, I think I give something to Him every day.

Anonymous said...

I'm - let's just say - somewhat uneasy about confined spaces. I drive with my car window cranked down a crack all winter. I'll admit, I'm afraid He'll give me an assignment that scares me - even though I KNOW that He'd equip me for it - there are just some things I DO NOT want to do. But I think what scares me more is that if I don't keep going through that tube I'll end up with the life I had - for an eternity! And that scares me enough to push through. Great post, thought provoking.

Anonymous said...

I get claustrophobic when I walk into my closet...not because it's small, but the clutter drives me crazy. Same with the back, vacant, but full-of-junk bedroom. Clutter makes me feel anxious, panicky. and my precious husband is a pack rat--go figure!

Stonefox said...

I totally relate! I don't like feeling closed in at all. And at times, I have definitely felt that way with God too, and what He was requiring of me. There have been times when I could not see ahead...actually, most of the time is like that!

But I have ventured forward, bit by bit, and I am finding it the most awesome, incredible, and fulfilling thing EVER. It is beyond words, definiely scary, but I would not miss it for the world.

In my book, following the promptings to inch forward is what life is really all about. Can't get any better.