Wednesday, May 28, 2008

BIG OL' JET

I have to get on a not so big ol’ jet today to fly to Kansas City on business. That inspired this post about jacked up song lyrics. Sorry no post tomorrow as I will be computer free

Roll mental camera…

You remember those cheesy commercials about the best album of hits ever created don’t you? Not like they have stopped making them. So here is my commercial.

Roger’s Music Barn has put together the finest collection of jacked up lyric songs ever created. Just listen to a few of the selections...

Steve Miller Band with the classic
Big ol’ jet had a light on (big ol’ jet airliner)

Pearl Jam and their grungy
Can’t find the butter man (can’t find a better man)

Jimmy Hendrix and his drug induced
Excuse me while I kiss this guy (excuse me while I kiss the sky)

Don Henley and his laid back
Down at the sausage mill (down at the sunset grill)

The Beach Boys and their spirited
Good, good, good, good buy raisins (good, good, good, good vibrations)

Rupert Holmes and his masterpiece
If you like bean enchiladas (if you like pina coladas)

And who can forget Mister Mister and this timeless piece
Carry a laser down the road that I must travel (kyrie eleison down the road that I must travel)

Act now and get Roger’s biggest blunder and Shelly’s favorite from Jars of Clay
We were becoming wonderful mud (we were becoming one with the mud)

I am not a bible scholar by any stretch of the imagination, but too often the sentence “The bible says…” ends with a jacked up lyric of sorts. I didn’t grow up reading the bible, so now that I am I am finding all kinds of places where people paraphrase to the point of confusion. I am now seeing why it is so important to read it yourself and not rely on someone else’s version. At least then I can screw up the meaning on my own.

Do you know people who are well intentioned but mess up what the bible says?

Do you find yourself researching what someone says to verify?

Do you have song lyrics that you have always messed up?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

good thoughts, I definitely have had many-a-conversations with well intentioned peeps! Truth is truth, as long as you keep with the Truth!

Heidi said...

Yep, to all above!!

Safe trip and have fun.

Bring back some ribs!

Unknown said...

I mess up just about every song I sing at one point or another:) And I try not and use biblical phrases unless I know they are right...or else I will say doesn't the Bible say something like....somewhere:) yeah I guess in reality my scriptural knowledge is about as bad as my singing...something I def need to work on!!!

Theresa said...

How did you know that I like bean enchiladas? You must be pshyic!

Have a super safe trip. I have heard there are good ribs there.

Anonymous said...

Every time I hear something I haven't heard before, I not only look it up but also do a few searches to find out the intent behind it. Gotta tell you, when I used to read the Pauline epistles I was a bit perturbed at Paul thinking he hated women...until bible school fixed all that up for me. For sure, people like to put their own slant on things, unfortunately they teach these slants to others. False teachers, very dangerous. You know what the bible says about being a teacher, don't chya?

Kim Heinecke said...

That's a great post. I laughed...

I make up my own lyrics if I can't remember the words. Or I just break out with spelling like Hall & Oats... ugh.