Tuesday, May 20, 2008

THE STRENGTH

The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace.

Psalm 29:11

Roll mental camera…

I was 14 and riding my bike in one of those big concrete storm channels near my apartment like I had many times before. (smart I know) I approached the big curve and pedaled harder so I would ride high up the curve and then shoot back into the channel. When I flattened back out in the channel I had to dunk under a low bridge. (yes I know it is “duck” instead “dunk” but I have always thought “dunk” made more sense so fire me.)

This time as I flattened back out in the channel I slipped and was thrown head first into that bridge. This was pre helmet safety mind you. I woke up just a few seconds later with blood already started pouring down my face.

I had nearly scalped myself (Learned later I had severed a vein and an artery)

I was alone so I had to save myself. I made it to the apartment manager’s office about 100 yards from where I wrecked. The ladies in the office freaked right out. They knew me, so after screaming and running around like chicken with their heads cut off they calmed down enough to call my mom. (yes chickens really do that for you non country folk)

My mom was there at light speed and was able to drive me to the emergency room and hold a blood soaked towel to my head at the same time. She was usually not good with blood, but was tough as nails that day. Well at least until she was told I was going to be OK, and then she passed smooth out.

God gave me the strength that day to get up and find help. He gave my mom the strength to overcome her fear of blood. He also gave her peace by her finding out I was going to be fine and her going nighty night.

I write this now because later today I will be in need of some strength and peace. I am going to have to make some decisions about my staff at work that I am not feeling good about. So if you think about it, throw a prayer my way for the strength and peace I need.

Time for me to turn this one over to God, how about you?

What do you need to turn over to Him to get the strength you need?

Anyone else have any good bike riding war stories, or am I the only klutz?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay here is my story. My sister was pumping me on the handlebars. We came to make a turn and we she looked both ways she saw a car coming. So put on the brakes real quick and I went flying off. Then she realized the car turned so she kept going. Right over me. Yep she ran me over. I still have scars from that day.

Robin Meadows said...

Praying for you today, Roger. That you will have clarity of mind and His peace!

Anonymous said...

Okay i confess I joke around....alot...but I wasnt this time...I wanted to skate board down this steep hill and wait for a ride to come pick me up. As i pumped down the hill i hit the only little rock at full speed....Yeah bit it hard is all i'll say. When my ride came to pick me up the never believed me until they saw all the blood. Ouch for sure...

Kim Heinecke said...

I had a bike collision with a friend in the 6th grade. Knocked me out and gave me the biggest, ugliest fat lip in the history of everything...which in turn, wrecked my already-feeble-adolesent-self-esteem... oh well.

Praying for God's peace to wash over you as you make tough decisions. He is always in control, eh?

Theresa said...

The only bike story that I can think of is the time that a lady had all her kids in the backseat of her car. She was turned yelling at her kids. She ran her car straight into my daughter who was riding her bike. God was with my baby that day because she came out of it with a sprained ankle. Hope was only 5 at the time.

I pray for you and your tough decisions. I pray that the Lord opens your eyes as to the right answers to your questions. I pray that He gives you knowledge and peace.