Tuesday, May 13, 2008

HOLY JEANS

So I thought I would stay with the clothing theme for at least another day. I know that reliving those days of horrific fashion are hard to deal with but stay with me.

Roll mental camera…

When you were a kid and you blew out the knee in a pair of jeans did you…
Toss them and grab a new pair out of the closet?

No I didn’t think so. I am not sure I had more that one pair at a time that fit. They all had the knees stained green if I did. If I had the audacity to play in them so hard I ripped the knee I knew what was coming.

A BIG PATCH

There was no going out to the store to buy a new pair. Mom would just grab a pair that no longer fit and cut out a patch. Most of the time the patch was nowhere near the same color so it stuck out like a sore thumb.

I also remember wearing shoes until my toes stuck out the end. The sole had torn loose by then so some form of tape was already in use. No prob, just slap on another layer of tape.

Today I hardly ever see a patch on a pair of jeans or a kid with a pair of shoes that are just a mess. My wife and I are so guilty of making sure our kids are never without that I doubt they can even grasp the concept of need. I think I am a better person for remembering what it was like not to having everything I needed or wanted.

How can we expect them to need God when we are already fulfilling all of their needs?

We can show them how to give, but you can’t really show them how to need, can you?

Funny how a pair of patched jeans can mess you up 30 years later.


4 comments:

Kim Heinecke said...

That first question is the important one in life. If we were perfect, giving them everything they want, there would be no need for Christ in their lives. Takes the pressure off.

Unknown said...

Reminds me of "Under the Overpass"...Great book and even better insight... I agree with you and I think that is where you find the world today. Few are willing to seek God or have that relationship with him until they have hit absolute rock bottom these days. You take away everything someone has and they will begin to see that the one thing that can keep them going is not anything that can be bought, but only something that can be received.

Theresa said...

My kids have learned how to need. There have been times in their lives when we couldn't just go out and get new. My husband had a back injury and to be honest we couldn't even afford used. They are rather gracious about things. Things have been better the last 5-6 years but there are still times that I see them taking extra care of something that I can afford to replace now.

Although my 15 year old son is in high school now....I think High School does something to them. :)

Robin Meadows said...

I'm glad it messed with you...it's making for some really good thought provoking blogs!