Monday, May 12, 2008

POLYESTER LEISURE SUIT

Yes that is me sporting a wicked awesome brown polyester leisure suit. I know, I know you are super jealous and wish you had one just like it.

Roll mental camera…

Depending upon which decade you grew up in you can probably relate to the picture. Since I grew up in the 70’s polyester was the fashion of the day. For those of you who do not remember, polyester was not like your fake fabrics of today. It was itchy, hot and stuck to you when you started sweating. Now if you were a girl you might have been blessed with a tube top or something else just as snazzy. You can fill in the blank.

If you were a boy in the 80’s your mom’s probably dressed you in a Miami Vice jacket with the rolled up sleeves. If you were a girl I bet you wore some big huge leg warmers even in the summer. Flashbacks of Olivia Newton John dancing around with all those out of shape guys singing, “let’s get physical.” I would like to see someone brave enough to wear that into the gym today.

My point is, just because we can, doesn’t mean we should. It drives me crazy when people legitimize something by saying “God created it so it is OK”. He created the poppy, so does that mean I should start a nice heroin addiction? To often I find myself legitimizing when I know I should just put down the polyester leisure suit and walk away.

What do you find yourself legitimizing that you know deep down you shouldn’t?

What was your favorite outfit from your past that you now can’t believe you wore?

5 comments:

Kim Heinecke said...

Polyester...I just like saying it.

I had a green polyester dress my mom made for me when I was about 5. I remember it because I said I wanted to wear it when Jesus came back because it would look pretty when I fly up into the sky.

And that's why I love polyester.

Natalie Witcher said...

Kim's funny.

I had a little blue dress with different colored pockets all over it. I looked snappy!

Oh yes, I have done and do things that I should just walk away from. Gerr myself.

deleise said...

1 Corinthians 10:23
Everything is permissible—but not everything is beneficial.

I'd say polyester falls under that verse.

Anonymous said...

all i see is cade. Dont forget with Olivia she rocked the braided headband! My favorite jacket was the zipper jacket...But we could afford that many zippers on one jacket. So my mom made me one with "stiched" zippers for halloween one year.
My favorite outfit had to be anything with Mr. T, Fall Guy or Knight Rider on it.

Theresa said...

I remember watching my mom get ready to go out to the disco's. She had the knee high white boots with cutouts. She looked hot climbing out of her pinto.

I love it when people legetimize Pot because it comes from "seed".