Wednesday, May 14, 2008

FLOOD WATERS

Flood waters, floods, high waters, clam diggers, long shorts or short pants. Whatever you want to call them is fine by me. They have also inspired another post on clothing.

Roll mental camera…

My mom like many other in the early seventies always bought my pants a few sizes too big. Had to have that room to grow now didn’t we. She would always tuck under all the extra length in the leg and hem them up.

As many boys do, I grew like a weed. As I grew mom would let out my pants and re-hem them. This would only happen after my pants had reached critical flood stage.

This caused another atrocity in fashion. Each hem would cause a permanent faded crease in the material. So by the time I finally out grew the pants they would have 5 or 6 rings around the bottom of the legs. Oh and I almost forgot the multiple grass stained patches on the knees.

I wish you could have seen those pants, they were a thing of beauty.

As I grow in life and faith, I see my self image as those pant rings. They are almost like the rings of a tree. They show all of the growth and drought, damage and healing, an account of where you have been. So I say wear those beautiful pants proudly.

Do you have a lot of rings on your pants?

What do your rings say about you?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My rings show all of the wear and tear that I have been through, the countless times I have fallen, been bruised or broked, but more importantly it shows that I have always been able to get back up and do it all over again. If you stop growing and stop repairing, no one, including yourself can ever see how much you have grown.

Theresa said...

Not only do I have the rings but because of the light there is a difference in the fading. I have really enjoyed your clothing series. It does bring to mind that once instead of a blue jean patch I actually got this big red strawberry patch. I loved that patch it was the coolest thing!!

Do you remember garanimals? You found matching close but matching the animals on the tags?

Kim Heinecke said...

Roger, you have great analogies that make me smile...then think.