Monday, May 5, 2008

LINE IN THE SAND

You gotta love it when the law you lay down for the kids actually works. Most of the time that line in the sand gets blurred by the wind created when my kids whip past it.

Roll mental camera…

Cade our 4 year old had a bit of an issue last week in the ark (his class at church). The teacher commented on how he sure was full of energy when we picked him up. Think Speedy Gonzalez on a double shot of espresso.

So before we went this weekend we informed him that he needs to calm down and refrain from bouncing off the walls. We gave him the list of privileges he would lose if he acted up.

This week's report was much better. The teacher said he rattled off the list of what he was and wasn’t supposed to do and the privileges he would lose if he acted up, then sat down and began coloring (which was on the OK to do list). Wow he actually listened. I didn’t think they grew ear drums until at least 6 or 7 years old.

As the “A TEAM” used to say, “I love it when a plan comes together.” Discipline is never fun but necessary. It is so much easier if the kids just listen and obey and stay well away from the line in the sand. I think listen occasionally just to keep us on our toes.

Do you have a favorite discipline story?

Do you kids listen and obey or hit the line in that sand at full tilt?

I have a good one from when I was young tomorrow

7 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

My kids ALWAYS listened AND obeyed! hahahahaha

I just know this: whatever you say once will probably have to be said at least a million other times..... ; )

Looking foward to your story tomorrow.

Kim Heinecke said...

I'm almost freaked out when one of my discipline plans comes together so beautifully. I start looking around for the heavens to open up and see my Jesus get his shofar ready!

Unknown said...

I have always been the one being disciplined...Imagine THAT!!!! "Go pick out a belt".....DOH, where was that line in the sand? I didn't even see the darned thing!!!`

Natalie Witcher said...

I'm with Robin...my kids always obey!! RIIIIIGGGHT! We are always working on first time obedience. I'm working on it too....hmmm

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...my discipline was for me to go in the back 40 and pick me out a switch. It had to be the perfect size though. If it was too small then I get it worse and if it was to big then of course it hurt. Yep I have the lost art of picking out the perfect switch. Any one hear me out there?!? oh yeah I thought so.

Theresa said...

Thanks for the Cheer Me Up. I couldn't stop laughing.

As far as my kids...somedays I feel like they walk all over us. But then there are the days that they admit that they are more scaired of Mommy than Daddy! I do take a small amount of pride in that as it shows that my children aren't dumb.

Anonymous said...

I love the Ark--that was my room at OKC! ...one time I got grounded from dessert after being brought home by a police officer. I snuck in and ate grapes.