Monday, May 19, 2008

COMMENTS WELCOME

Blog comments are always fun to get but there are many times when I am left speechless after a day of comments.

Roll mental camera...

Scott Williams at Big is the New Small posted on Friday about your favorite drink. He asked for people to comment on if they preferred a drink from Sonic over Starbuck's. As of the time of this post there were 42 comments so far.


This kind of commenting seems to be more of the norm than the exception. Many of the blogs I read seem to get a disproportionate amount of comments when the topics are on the lighter side or if the are political and hack people off.


But it seems that when someone writes about something deep, thought provoking, hard to swallow or faith based the comments lag well behind.


What do you think that says about us as blog readers/commenters?


Is it just easier to respond that "I like double frappy mocha oreo blasts" than it is to really talk about real life and how we deal with it?


I didn't think opening up to total strangers would be so difficult for some people.

9 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

Maybe we're afraid to put our deepest thoughts out in cyber-space...someone might not agree with us?

Just wondering.

noyb said...

No Comment.

Anonymous said...

I like to think that readers that don't leave comments are off somewhere digesting what they've read. It's so much easier to make a decision about which drink you'd prefer - really requires no thinking at all. But answer how you truly feel about abortion?!? Like Robin says, put that "out there" some people just can't be that vulnerable publicly for fear of inciting backlash. As for me and me house, we don't really care what others thing (most of the time).

Kim Heinecke said...

I like the good, thought-provoking ones. I noodle them around in my head throughout the day, even if I don't make a comment.

Rachel Cobb said...

People can't be offending if they just say what type of drink they like. I am short on time, too... which means if I just have to answer a drink order, i will most likely comment than if I need to make a long, thought out, opinionated response.

Anonymous said...

There seems to be no method to the madness, for the bloggers or the commenters... There does seem to be a method for the number of readers.

Natalie Witcher said...

uuuhhh

Theresa said...

I agree with Robin, Hope and Kim. See no original thought...No stepping out there. LOL

Actually I read alot of people's blogs at work. The pace in our office is rather slow at times. So I find it easy to read. It isn't always easy to respond to the more in depth blogs. Sometimes I attempt to and then the phone rings and I lose my concentration.

It is also hard sometimes to respond to a more serious post because it is written and the emotion I feel may come across wrong with the written word. Whereas if I was in a room with you my emotions would be evident.

So I prefer a normal brewed ice tea with no lemon or sugar....that is a lot easier and safer than discussing my views of premarital sex.

Abbi said...

Theresa said: "It is also hard sometimes to respond to a more serious post because it is written and the emotion I feel may come across wrong with the written word. Whereas if I was in a room with you my emotions would be evident."

I wholeheartedly agree. My 'tone' is purely in the reader's head, causing them to feel supported or thrown under the bus. Chances are slim that you'd get offended if I say I like strawberry slushes the best. No room for 'interpretation' there.