Thursday, May 22, 2008

UMBRELLA OF DEATH

Wanted to thank Heidi and her post “Until Today” for inspiring this Umbrella of Death post.

Roll mental camera…

From my post “The Strength” and “Jump to Glory”, you should now know that my bike riding choices were never stellar. On this day when I was 8 it was no different.

The wind was just a bit gusty at probably 30-40 mph. Pretty normal Oklahoma summer day. I was riding my bike and struggling to pedal.

LIGHT BULB goes off in head.

I ran in the house to get the umbrella to use as a sail. My mother in her infinite wisdom explained to me how using a black umbrella was not a good idea. I stared at her and muttered “ahuh” a few dozen times while she spoke and the bolted to the door anyway. I wasn’t going to let a little thing like being able to see where I was going get in my way.

Top of the block, draw a mental line on the street to follow, pop the umbrella and ZOOM.
I was off like a rocket, barely holding on as the G forces tried to drag me off my bike.

Those G forces came to a screeching halt as my bike impaled the back bumper of a parked car. As I lay upside down on the truck, my mother came up and gave me the “I wish you would have just listened and I could have saved you from that wreck.”

Heidi spoke yesterday of God piloting or steering us in the right direction, just like my mom tried to do. Like I did then, I still find myself ignoring my Pilot. I can hear and feel the direction I just choose to ignore it. That pesky free will. I am glad I have it, but sometimes I think I would do a lot better without it. But I guess the choice is the point, right?

Are you ignoring your Pilot?

Who did most of your steering as a kid?

4 comments:

Natalie Witcher said...

I pray I am listening all the time. I'm sure that I've done to him what my kids do to me. I'll be so focused on what I am doing that I just don't hear him!

Anonymous said...

Letting go of the steering wheel for me is so tough! I know God will guide my path, he has never failed me and has blessed me tremendously but I still have a tough time. Human nature? It is stupidity on my part more like it. Good post.

deleise said...

Good post, Roger. I definitely struggle with this.

And once again, so glad I was not your mother. :)

Heidi said...

Roger,

First of all I'm honored.
I had read this post and wanted to respond but I was having numerous laptop problems. I am crippled but still up. Ha!!

Yes God pilots me and sometimes I wonder where too. But my heart is confident and at peace knowing that He's in control.

Thank You again