Tuesday, April 1, 2008

EYE TURNER 2 of 2

Yesterday I spoke about Cade and his eye turn. That was a very hard thing to deal with knowing your child has a real problem and not knowing if you could do anything to help. Once he was straightened out I was inspired and thought I would be able to help others.

Roll mental camera…

I have seen more children with an eye turns over the past year and a half than I care to count. The latest just a few days ago. There I was watching my older son Connor at practice and here walks by a father and son. His son has a very noticeable eye turn. Every time I see this I feel the urge to talk to them about it but always find a way to talk myself out of it. That is exactly what I did. Then I feel so bad that I could have changed that kid’s life but decided not to because I was to big a wuss to take a risk. Yes, I could have offended them and have been told to mind my own business, but I can live with that… But what I think I worry about the most is the hurt I could cause them by saying something.

They may know all about it but can’t afford the therapy. It could be something that isn’t fixable and I am just pouring salt on the wound. It could have been caused by something the parent did. Who knows.

It may not be an eye turn you have been meaning to talk to someone about but the apprehension is still just as real I bet.

Why is it so hard to take that risk and say something?

Anyone have a surefire way to force the conversation?

I could use the help.

6 comments:

deleise said...

That's tough. Sometimes it is such a hard call, but if you really feel like God is pushing you toward the conversation I guess the only thing to do is jump in and just let Him talk through you, ya know?

Heidi said...

I remember when my son was born with cleft lip and palate and he was 3 days old and I had taken him to church. A little girl came up to me and asked me if "I needed one of her little mermaids for his mouth." She said it all. Right then and there, she broke the ice. God will lead

Anonymous said...

I don't know how many times I've felt prompted to pray for someone in a wheel chair. I don't know why and I sometimes wonder if it's the prompting of the Holy Spirit or my own compassion. The prompting is more than an internal prayer; it calls for me to stop them and pray out loud for healing. Because I'm not sure whether it's me or God, I don't do it. Why? I'm afraid it's me and I don't want to hurt the person with false hope. Maybe my faith is way smaller than a mustard seed. If it's God, I'm being disobedient. Either way, for whatever reason, it just feels awful.

Kim Heinecke said...

Tough question! I'm often hesitant to offer advice or information unless the person brings up the subject first...but God has certainly used people to offer me unsolicited advice that proved to be VERY helpful!
Just by sharing that story you will probably "bring it up" to MANY people who are reading your blog!

Natalie Witcher said...

That's hard! I feel that way about other things. It's just the fear that I'm going to offend. It really calls for a reliance on the Spirit.

Theresa said...

In this situation you are one step ahead because you have been there with your own son. I would approach that dad when the child wasn't around and ask him what his sons condition is. I would explain that I had been through something similar and ask him if he had ever heard of the therapy. This will give him a chance to say that has or hasn't and it will give you comfort in knowing that you brought them another option. Also if it is a monetary problem where they can't afford the treatment, God my have put him in your path to help. This could be a great opportunity for you and to minister. They may be the vessel of your next spiritual step.

Thanks for the update. I am glad that you and your family are safe. 200 yards doesn't sound that far away. Yikes!