Monday, April 14, 2008

WHERE THERE IS SMOKE

That saying that every kid learns. It is like riding a bike, once you learn it you never forget. I am not even sure I remember when I learned it, but all I know is that I did and it is permanently attached to my brain.

Roll mental camera…

I had a dangerous love of fire as a kid. I was probably 9 or 10 and my friends and I were messing around in the shed in my backyard. I saw the can of gasoline and figured I would show off. Since I was of course the smartest child on the planet I went in the house and got a plastic cup to put the gasoline in. I filled the plastic cup about half way with the gas (didn’t want it to spill), sat it down in the middle of the backyard and tossed in the match.

The fire was very cool until the plastic started to melt. Then the freaking started. Everybody was screaming and running in circles. One of my friends, who may have been even smarter than I, was decided to run up and stomp on it. Not a good idea. Instead of snuffing out the fire, the gas splashed up on his pants and set him on fire.

So what was the first thing he heard being screamed at him by all of us standing around? I know you just said it in your head, didn't ya? Yep, “STOP, DROP and ROLL!!” He did just that and within just a few seconds the fire was out.

I know it would be funny to hear adults yell things like this at each other when we see someone doing something dangerous, but I bet it would help keep us in line. There should be a whole mess of impossible to forget sayings for adult situations and everyone should be forced to know them. Like if you see someone using a credit card you could yell “SWIPER NO SWIPING” (sorry Dora the Explorer, it fit). Man that would get me to put my credit card back in my pocket.

Do you have a issue that needs a saying?

Can you all think of some good saying for situations that get people into trouble?

6 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

I think mine would just be "Shut yo' mouth!" ; )

Good post, Roger!

Natalie Witcher said...

From Rush Hour 1 or 2, I can't remember "Do you understand the words that are comin' out of my mouf?"

Kim Heinecke said...

Personally if I'm trying to really sell an idea to my family, I "Godfather" it up and say, "I'll make you an offer you can't refuse..." No one laughs but me. And on most days, that's enough...

Anonymous said...

While this story has great application- I know a better "playing with fire" event!
Luv Ya!
NAN

Heidi said...

Does "the cloud of dust" appears work? Whenever I would walk in the door a cloud of dust of chaos walked in. I'm a little better now at 41.

Anonymous said...

"Come close, listen to the story"
We so often think we have the right answers and we often forget to get close, chill out, and just listen--everyone has a story and an important part to play, something to teach! WE just need to learn to listen