Thursday, April 3, 2008

UNWAVERING

I want a Red Rider carbine action 200 shot range model air rifle. I know it is April but give me a break, it was a good lead it. Now read, go on, I triple dog dare you.

Roll mental camera…

When I was about eight received a small pocket knife for a present. I was so excited about that knife. All I could think of was the grand adventures I was going to have. It was like the Red Rider BB Gun was to Ralphie. I was going to be McGuyver Jr. But the first thing I needed to do was make sure I had a fool proof hiding place for it. I didn’t want it getting lost now did I?

Being the brightest 8 year old on the planet I hid it where nobody else would ever look. The top left hand drawer of my dresser of course! Oh but I could stop there. What if I forgot where I hid it in the future? I had to make sure I could find it when needed. Did I tie a ribbon around my finger to help me remember? Maybe a treasure map? How about a post it note? No, not me, I now had a pocket knife. I decide to carve the word knife into the front of the drawer that I hid it in. I even spelled it right and everything.

I didn’t like the consequences of my actions that day, but I did like how perfectly clear the message was. There was no gray area. There was a knife in that drawer, no ifs, ands or buts about it. I love the aspects of my life that I now know well enough to carve “knife” on. They are black and white, unwavering. Still working on the rest…

Don’t you love getting rid of the gray area in your life?

What do you think the most black and white part of the bible is?

What was your Red Rider BB Gun growing up?

4 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

This post makes me smile...maybe because I keep finding "carvings" from many years back on various wood pieces around my house (inside of drawers, thankfully, window sills, inside of bed rails).
And I am and very "black and white" person. Interesting thing is, as I'm getting older, I'm learning to celebrate the gray areas (but, not in my hair!). It's all about faith, and knowing Who's in charge. Makes me rest---things don't have to be as "clear" now, and I'm still ok. Does that make sense? LOL

Heidi said...

I had this scwinn bike with a banana seat. (yes this ages me) with a flag, and playing cards in the spokes for the best motor sounds remember? Then there was my willie Stargell rookie card and my lucky marbles. I sound so much like a guy. anyways..
Black and white in the bible.

Jesus wept
Jesus so loved the world
Go and make disciples.

Grey is a great color, but it can be confusing.

Thanks alot!!! Now I am going to think about that bike all day long.
:)

Natalie Witcher said...

cabbage patch dolls.

I think "when" you recieve the Holy Spirit is gray

Kim Heinecke said...

I don't remember what it was growing up...but my current RRBBG is a new long lens for my camera that I happen to luv...