Tuesday, April 29, 2008

FLIRTING WITH DANGER

Did you ever mess with something you knew you shouldn't. Don't know why we want to tempt fate or flirt with danger, but it sure has a way of getting even.

Roll mental camera...

When I was a kid a good buddy's backyard backed up to open lots on the next block. Across the street from these open lots was a business that had some very mean guard dog inside some very tall fences. Being ornery kids we used to enjoy tormenting the dogs from the other side of the fence. The dogs, of course, seemed to enjoy trying to eat are faces through the fence as much as we enjoyed watching them try. One evening right before dark we were in our usual torment session and all of a sudden we heard the hum of an electric motor and the rattle of the gate opening.

SOMEONE HAD SET THOSE DOGS LOOSE ON US!!!

The gate was on the opposite side of the property from where we were but we were still in huge trouble. We bolted for his backyard that wasn't but 50 yards away. My heart was about to jump out of my chest as I could hear the bark of these dogs growing louder. The dogs were snapping at our heels as we both jumped over his chain link fence. My buddy made it... I didn't. I fell on top of the chain link fence and it pierced through my abdomen and my arm. Boy that was fun let me tell you.

That should have taught me to never flirt with disaster ever again, but did it? Heck no. I have a pile of other great stories I might tell if you all are good boys and girls. But I think this sewed the seed and all of my other mess ups watered it. I might have finally learned to avoid disaster, at least for now.

Have you ever messed with danger and had it get even?

Did you learn from that or are you still flirting with it?

Ever been so scared you thought you were going to die or at least wet yourself?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh yes, always makes me laugh cause I was totally like a little boy when I was younger... had to flirt with danger, cause I couldn't flirt with my best boy friends...we rolled in dirt together...and climbed trees and fell into rivers, and ate rocks and bled and everything else...crazy how many times we can get into serious trouble before we finally "get it".

Robin Meadows said...

Not much of a risk-taker when I was young.....taking MANY more risks now...and loving it! LOL Less to loose? Who knows.... ; )

Heidi said...

Oh man, I was in the Navy in the late 80"s Yes I know I am girl and I was an engineman on a tugboat. During one of our pulls we lost a very important wrench in one of the bilges. It was nasty that day and slosh and slosh. They lowered me because I was the smallest under the massive engine (while running) through the bilge to get this wrench. I did it stupidly. But today I still remember looking up at this massiv engine roaring above me. wondering if the engine was going to cut my head off.

Anonymous said...

I had a similar story but with a stampede of cows....Yeah we really got them mad and they wanted to show us. Luckily they never got as close as your dogs did. We just jumped in some brush and lost them...fun times

Anonymous said...

I'm not a flirt anymore. When I was twelve I hitchhiked. Danger?! OY! All the risks I take now are calculated and then some.

Unknown said...

I tend to flirt with disaster constantly it seems, my problem....I don't realize it is a disaster until it is too late!!! Sometimes you just have to stick your hand out to that vicious looking dog to see if it wants to bite you or lick you before you know the truth about it anyways!!!