Monday, April 21, 2008

OUT WITH YA

I was talking last week about the dog I had as a kid. Today I am going to tell you about my mother’s dog, if you could call it that.

Roll mental camera…

My mom bought this black Lhasa Apso puppy that she named Cashmere. Cashmere was as soft and cuddly as the name described. But, like all puppies, she was not so good about potty training. They would put Cashmere outside to go potty and she would come back in and pee on the carpet.

Finally, many months later, my mother banished poor Cashmere to the backyard indefinitely. The dog was well fed and watered while she was out there, but that is about it. Her hair grew long and matted and she stunk bad! If Peppy Le Pew would have been into dogs, he would have even passed on her.

I think it was nearly three years before they finally gave in and let the poor thing in the house. Once they got her trimmed up and bathed she was a new dog. Cashmere was once again soft and cuddly, but this go round she was also potty trained. That dog would have rather exploded than go on the carpet after that.

Could you image what it would be like if we got cast out of God’s family if we screwed up too many times? I am so glad to have comfort in that fact that no matter how bad I screw up God is always willing to let me back in the house. But sometimes I wonder if getting the boot would wise me up. I will try to avoid peeing on His carpet in the future.

Have you made a mess that was boot worthy in the past?

Would getting the boot for a while knock some sense into you?

Anyone else have a pet that paid the price for making a mess?

We adopted a dog that chewed about $2,000 worth of woodwork in our house the first day. Needless to say we de-adopted it quickly.

9 comments:

Theresa said...

I love how you always tie things together....I was going to change my motto friday but this one is better
"I will try to avoid peeing on His carpet in the future"
How come we are so hard to housebreak?

Oh BTW...You have just been tagged...Please go to my blog and see what that means...Thank Deleise. :)

deleise said...

Hey now! Thank Amy! I'm just trying to play nice with the other kids.

Great post, Roger. I would never be allowed back in.

Robin Meadows said...

"De-dopted"....haha

I'm sure glad God never de-dopts US!

Unknown said...

I hope God likes dogs more than I do.

Natalie Witcher said...

I have a dog you can have. Ya know, I never think God will ever be "done" with me. Nope, never crosses my mind. I wonder if he get's a little annoyed, but never feel like I'll get the boot.

Anonymous said...

I believe her official nickname was "smell bad". See, even stinky dogs get a second chance.
luv ya!
nan

Anonymous said...

You crack me up! I've totally messed up and then stepped in it and tracked it around with me ... too many times to count. When I met my Lord, He stopped counting and so did I.

Unknown said...

I think I would be de-adopted pretty quickly, it probably would kick some sense in to me. If God disciplined us the way we discipline our dogs, at least the way I do mine, I think my butt would be pretty raw about now...Love the way you tie it all together bro!!!

Roger Garrett said...

I am just glad I didn't offend anyone