Wednesday, April 2, 2008

NAME DROPPING


Name dropping is something I have been guilty of from time to time. I had a conversation yesterday that reminded me of another kind of name dropping that has a totally different meaning.

Roll mental camera…

When I was a kid I was a bit ornery, a cut up, cantankerous, obstinate, pig –headed, and that is just the short list. My parents tried to keep me in line with constant gluteus compression therapy, otherwise known as a good butt whipping. That is probably the only thing that kept me alive. I would push the limit until, like Bill Cosby would say, “The beatings will now commence!” But I always knew when they were going to commence because they were always preceded by my parents doing a little name dropping at the top of their voice, or in a whisper through clenched teeth if we were in public. Oh I can still hear it now…

ROGER!!!! DAN!!!!! DAMMIT!!!!!!

I knew I was in for it then. While I was being lead to my room, my mind dreamt up all kinds of torture many times worse than in this post. Now don’t get me wrong my parents were not abusers, they loved me enough to use the gluteus compression therapy. I thank them for it, I needed to hear the “Roger Dan Dammit” because I knew that if they didn’t use those three words together and in that order I was golden. If it was a mild “Dang It Roger” or a simple “Roger Dan” I knew I would live to see another day so I would keep pushing and pushing the limits until I crossed the line.

Hearing those words was my wake up call, my alarm clock. It brought me back to reality and pushed me back over the line where I needed to be. As I have gotten older I have realized how nice it was to have that wake up call. For many years after I left home I didn’t really have that. So now I try to hear God yelling at me, though I am sure it would not those same three words. I have also surrounded myself with a good group of people that will hold me accountable.

Do you have your wake up call in place?

What are you doing that is setting it off?

What did your parents yell at you to let you know you were in for it?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I normally just got a "go pick out a belt," so I must have been doing things that were bad enough to skip all of the formalities and cut right to that set of words:) I too have a good group of friends now that offer me accountability, you being one of them(my name dropping:)) Accountability and now I ACTUALLY FEEL guilt when I screw up, yeah its a newer feeling when you start to walk close :)

Natalie Witcher said...

I was too shy to get in trouble when I was a kid. Not the same when I was an adult. I have girlfriends who can call me on the carpet...and they do. Thanks, Kim.

Heidi said...

Heidi Sue!!!

I absolutely hate it now!!!