Wednesday, April 30, 2008

MOMS

Gotta love the moms. Without her I wouldn’t have been alive to get into all the fun situations I have written about. There was a time where she was a single mom and I am sure it had its challenges.

Roll mental camera…

Don’t get me wrong, my dad was in the picture, but I was living with my mom during the week. She got the brunt of my craziness.

I was about 12 when my parents divorced. Soon after that my mother took a job at a hotel and convention center because they allowed us to live and eat in the hotel. I am not sure if she did this out of necessity, but I am pretty sure she did.

Man I loved it, running around the back secret hallways and hiding out in empty conference rooms. I got to eat in the kitchen with the cooks and have pretty much anything I wanted. For a kid it was heavenly.

But for a mom I am sure it was a big old honking smack in the face. Going from being a homeowner to living in a hotel, from a tight family to broken. I am not sure if there was any support for single moms back then but I don’t think she had any outside her friends.

Do all you can to love and support single moms. Reach out and find some, don’t wait for them to come to you. If you are ready to jump in and help there is an awesome single mother’s conference here in Edmond that Kim Heinecke blogged about yesterday. Check out the site ariseministries.net. If that doesn't float your boat then other choices are just a google away.

Anyone have a strong single mom they want to give some props to?

7 comments:

Kim Heinecke said...

Roger, a heartfelt thank you for the notes about the conference. I hope someone attends and is blessed because of YOU!

Theresa said...

My friend Joy is a single parent. She is strong and patient and loves her son with all she has. I have so much respect for single parents, mothers and fathers.

I feel so blessed to have my husband with me to co parent. It really is hard work sometimes but I can't imagine doing it without him.

BTW....I would love to meet you and your beautiful picture taking wife when I come in August. Thanks for always be so encouraging.

Robin Meadows said...

Sweet story. My heart goes out to single moms.

Heidi said...

Yes I do...

Go meet Hope @ unveilinghope.com
This a woman of God and a true of truest friends

I wanna hug all the single moms. My mom was one too.

Momma I love you!!!

Bobbi West said...

My family and I have a minstry for single moms. Our unbrella ministry is Get Up Ministries. Baskets of Blessings is for single mothers. We make gift baskets (or boxes, or bags) and deliver them to the mothers on or right before Mother's Day and Christmas. You can submit names on our website www.letsgetup.org

Bobbi West said...

Get Up isn't just our unbrella ministry, it's also our umbrella ministry!

Andi Hawkins said...

My mom was a single mom and the best mom on God's green earth. She could make the simplest thing, like making chocolate milk, completely magical. Now I enjoy watching her do the same with my own two sons. I love your site. Thanks for sending a nod out to single moms. They deserve it.