Wednesday, April 16, 2008

THE METER MAN

So yesterday we were talking about the gigantic walking tongue covered in fur named Kippy. I know that must sound terrible for those of you that didn’t read yesterday’s post so please go enlighten yourself by reading it now… no go ahead… the rest of us will wait… OK welcome back. Kippy, as you read, was my beast of a dog growing up. He had at least one more lesson for me. This one I didn’t learn until recently and it is a biggie.

Roll mental camera…

When Kippy was just a wee pup, wee pup meaning three feet tall and 50 pounds, he was curious about everything and everyone. One day the meter man came by on his rounds and hopped the chain link fence into our backyard. Kippy saw him as a big new toy to play with and lumbered his way across the yard, tail just a wagging. Kippy never barked at the man or showed him any kind of aggression but this guy didn’t even give him a chance. He pulled out his can of mace and shot Kippy right in the eyes.


Needless to say Kippy was not fond of the meter man after that. The meter man had become #1 on Kippy’s most wanted list. By the time Kippy was six months old he could leap a chain link fence in a single bound, and he had no issue jumping through eight backyards to get a shot at revenge. Dad put up a string of hot wire that must have been 2 feet above the top of the fence but that didn’t help, Kippy would jump right through it. He would even climb stockade fences if he thought he might get a taste of meter man butt.


Years later, Kippy actually did catch one and got his revenge by taking a bite out of him. It was not pretty. So my parents took him away to be a police dog. I didn’t find out until I was 15 that “going to be a police dog” meant they put him to sleep. Man I bought their story hook, line and sinker.


It makes me sick to think how many people I have “maced” in my life before I gave them a chance. A roll of the eye here, a cold shoulder there or just ignoring them all together… judgment had been rendered. I may have caused these people to hate everything I stand for and everyone I am associated with. HYPOCRITE…


MY HYPOCRISY IS OVER and I will no longer judge a book by its cover. I ask you to do the same. Love thy neighbor as thyself, and my definition of neighbor just took on a whole new meaning.


Who is with me on setting judgment aside and being open to anyone and everyone?

8 comments:

Kim Heinecke said...

Good one, Roger.
Go Kippy, go.

Robin Meadows said...

Me, Me!!! (with hand raised high in the air and waving at you). Good post. Poor Kippy.

Anonymous said...

I Like the new banner! Believe it or not people can judge your blog by its cover.

Good Post!

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree. Most people are the same. They all have basic needs. It's just that some of them try to get these needs met from the wrong places. LOVE this post.
-jess

Unknown said...

I'm with ya brother man, I'm with ya!!!" You can always tell the pioneers by the amount of arrows in their backs"

Natalie Witcher said...

Well, seeing as how mercy ranks very low in my spiritual gifts, I'll HAVE to take people at face value. i'll make my assumptions after we talk a bit! HEE HEE

Theresa said...

I think I will join you for the ride. I hope I don't get kick off the bus for poor performance. :)

Love the new banner!!

Roger Garrett said...

Thanks for the support, glad to see if got peeps backing me up