Wednesday, April 23, 2008

HELLO IN CRANKINTOPIA

Third grade was a strange time in my life. I moved from a Christian school to a Catholic school in the middle of third grade. Talk about culture shock.

Roll mental camera…

Swats were the only thing similar between the two schools. I think some older version of the bible had a verse that commanded all teachers to beat the devil out of cantankerous lads like myself. I have yet to find it in any of my versions but I am sure it is there.

But there was one thing made the move all worthwhile. I had a wicked crush on my new third grade teacher, and yes she was a nun. Sick and twisted I know. But she was young and nice to me and never once hit me with a ruler.

I had to impress her by telling her hello and goodbye in a different language everyday. I would walk in the door and say “lratheratewy, that means Hello in Crackintopia.” She would always mention how lovely the language sounded and how beautiful it must be there. I was a master linguist by the time a left third grade. Yea right! I never researched any new languages, I just made it all up. But she never let on that she knew I was faking.

Embellishment is something I always found myself guilty of. It has become much less as I get older, but still guilty. But there were times in my youth where I wasn’t even sure the fact from fiction. When it comes to my faith I try to make extra sure I don’t embellish, but it has happened. I don’t pretend to be a model Christian because I am not. I don’t think it is possible. We want and strive to be but always fall short. No need to cover it up with lies, God will accept us, flaws and all. Kinda like that nun accepted me, she must have been reading the version of the bible I have.

Have you let yourself embellish about any part of your faith or walk with God?

Is embellishing something you struggle or have struggled with?

Did you ever get called out when exaggerating something?(man that is a fun time huh)

4 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

I'm pretty cut-and-dried (surprised, huh? LOL), so not too much embellishment from me. I think it goes hand-in-hand with creativity though and I actually find the gift quite fascinating! I've raised a few of those passionate types!

So, keep using that gift, Roger. It presses me to think outside my box! And Jesus can't ever be over-exaggerated---so keep talking Him up and you won't go wrong!

Unknown said...

Christy ALWAYS calls me out on exaggerating, no matter how small...and she does it right in the middle of REALLY good stories too!!!

I don't think I embellish my walk though, that is one thing that I try not to do, there is dog poop and weeds in this guys yard and I will admit to that each and every day, I think it is important for Christians to show others that just by being a Christian does not make you immune to poop and weeds in your own yard!

Natalie Witcher said...

I can feel the temptation to do it, but what good would that do. Being real is always the better way, don't you think? I mean, doesn't everyone pray 3 hours a day, feed the poor, walk the neighbors dogs, and memorize giant portions of the bible in a week?

Theresa said...

I bet you were just the cutest thing at that age. Making up your own language.