Tuesday, April 8, 2008

MUD PIES


Happy Happy Joy Joy (yes I used to watch Ren and Stimpy). Mud to me was like the Wii of this generation. Mud pies of course were one of my favorite results. In my generation mud was about as interactive as it got.

Roll mental camera…

My parents were very cool about allowing me to play in the mud. So cool in fact that my dad would bring out the rototiller and tear up perfectly good grass just so I could make a mud pit. When I say mud pit I mean mud pit. I could have buried a wooly mammoth in one of those suckers. I don’t think there was anything that my parents could have bought me that would have kept me out of the mud.

I had my times where I didn’t make the best decisions when it came to the mud. I once or maybe twice walked into the house covered in it. I thought dumping it into the fan on the air conditioner was really cool until it burned out the motor. I covered my dog in it. I covered my sister in it. But hey I was a boy and that is what boys did.

I find my self so often trying to keep my boys from wrecking my nice yard or telling them not to jump in mud puddles. I am trying to get rid of that side of me that worries about what it will look like and just let them have fun. Too bad if the neighbors don’t like it huh? I would much rather lose my sons in my torn up yard full of mud than lose them to a video game.

What looks nice in your life that needs to be torn up for your kids?

Any mud lovers out there?

10 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh that feeling of squishy mud!!! I'm so with you in this experience. I used to make my mud pies too and put them in my suzy q bake oven!! But I wasn't all girl, I remember chasing my sister around with worms too...

What do I need to tear up?my calendar. We get so busy.

Anonymous said...

I know I'm a "lady" but I LOVED mud...I probably played in the mud more than my older bro when we were growing up. I baited hooks to fish, climbed trees, got hurt--a lot, and created many mud desserts and pies to throw off the roof at my brother and his friends...it was AWESOME!!!
I need to rip up my manners and boring stuff, and just have fun!

Kim Heinecke said...

Ah...your parents were cool. I'm not much into mud, unless it's caked to the shoes of 3 of my favorite men coming home from a long afternoon of dirt-bike riding.

Heidi...yeah, my calendar! (And probably the power cord to this computer at times.)

Unknown said...

Loved mud then, still love mud now...Anyone up for a game of mud tackle football??? I will very soon find out what needs to be torn up in my yard for my kids, I am with you, I would much rather lose my kids to playing outside and getting dirty, than lose them to a computer or video game though!

Theresa said...

Go jump in mud puddles with your kids. Let loose you know you want to....Come on! :) I loved the mud and had a few games of tackle football in it. I still jump in water puddles with my daughter.

I'm with Heidi on getting rid of the Calendar.

Natalie Witcher said...

I would say my christmas tree, but sorry, they aren't touching it! I love mud. Just the other day the girls were out playing in it. Got some good pics too!

deleise said...

Oh,ouch. Ouch. Ouch. I'm bad about this. We live in the country and it is so dirty and I get sick of cleaning up tile and carpet. Thanks, Roger, we are off to play in the mud.

Robin Meadows said...

Love it! We live in the country. My kids were forever dirty! When it rained a dry creekbed would fill up and they loved playing in the mud. Last year we dug a pond. My teen boys have wicked mud fights---they're quite the site! And that red mud doesn't EVER come out of your clothes!

Anonymous said...

Down in Hugo we didnt get alot of rain so mud wasnt a frequent thing so we would go down to the pond and play in the banks of mud....Yeah I lost my shoe one time...mmmm thats good mud playing.

Roger Garrett said...

wow didn't think mud would be such a popular subject.
Natalie don't you set up a seperate tree for the kids? that counts