Thursday, March 20, 2008

BABY SCARE

The birth of my first son Connor was one of the most amazing and yet scary days of my life. The background on this is my wife has juvenile diabetes making her pregnancies “High Risk”.


Roll mental camera…


So the morning starts with a foot long needle the size of my lower leg being jammed into my wife’s abdomen for an amniocentesis. We needed to know if our bun was fully cooked. Shelly started to have some wicked labor during this so they stopped and sent us up to delivery anyway. We get into a room. More labor… Dirty looks my way because it is my fault… Questions on when the epidural is coming… You guys no the drill. At least she didn’t pull my bottom lip over my head.

So now down to the business end of it all, and I mean that literally. Shelly is now numb for the waist down and asking me if she is pushing. Everything is great until I hear the doctor ask “Is there a neonatologist on call?” The nurse replies, “yes.” To this the doctor grunts, “get him in here now!” I thought I was going to get sick all over my wife. I could see the fear in the doctor’s eyes. Connor’s vitals were dropping fast so the doctor had to go after him with the forceps and pull him out in a big hurry. They snatched Connor up, gave us a quick peek and raced him to the neonatal intensive care unit. The first thing I did was pray and promised to do anything God asked if He would protect Connor.

Connor ended up being just fine and it was all just a precaution but the fear at the time was earth shattering. Back then I felt guilty about the prayer I prayed because I was not in the right place with God. Today it would have been different. I don’t think I would have been as freaked and when I prayed that prayer I would have been at peace knowing it wasn’t a one time scream for help. I think I am now making good on that promise which is a very cool feeling.


Any times in your life where you made “The Prayer” where you promised ______, as long as God would fix your problem?


Did you follow through on your promise?


Any good birthing stories I need to hear? (Nothing to graphic ladies, we men might not be able to handle it)

5 comments:

Kim Heinecke said...

I promised a lot of stuff when my husband left... And when God didn't "deliver" as I had wanted, I learned the tough way we don't bargain with Him, because it simply doesn't work like that. He gives good gifts to his children regardless of our past bad behavior...and he teaches us the lessons we need, regardless of past good behavior.

(That must have been soooooooo scary when your lil' one was born!!!)

Anonymous said...

Before I really knew or understood God and His love I made a promise. I was addicted to drugs at the time and had od'd. I promised to never do drugs again if He let me live. As soon as I got out of the hospital - right back to it. It's been 12 years since then. I've know Him and loved Him for 4 1/2 years. I understand the scripture about just letting our yes mean yes and no mean no.

As for births - both my boys were born 2 months early. I spent a month in labour for the second. He spent three weeks in the Neonatal ICU. I'm sure I prayed some of those intense prayers back then when I still didn't really know Him. He came through though! God is so good.

Unknown said...

You couldn't have saved this horror story for me until AFTER I had mine could you have Rog? Thanks buddy:)

I made more than my fair share of those in my previous life and as Kim said "we don't bargain with him" Yes he kept me alive and that was answer enough to my prayers, but the bargaining chip just didn't work the way I asked...probably for the best though! Now I look back and I will tell anyone that I would not take back or change a single thing that I did because it made me who I am today. I was talking to Jamey at FF about this Monday, its amazing how God has our path lined out from birth and has a perfect time and place for everything...I am so thankful for the trials and unanswered prayers now, I wouldn't be the same had it not happened that way....As you said though, I'm in a different place now and it is a "cool feeling" knowing I am working towards fulfilling those promises!!!

Anonymous said...

When I saw your question Rog This verse came to mind...Ecclesiastes 5:4-8

4 So when you make a promise to God, don't delay in following through, for God takes no pleasure in fools. Keep all the promises you make to him. 5 It is better to say nothing than to promise something that you don't follow through on. 6 In such cases, your mouth is making you sin. And don't defend yourself by telling the Temple messenger that the promise you made was a mistake. That would make God angry, and he might wipe out everything you have achieved.

The Bible is scary sometimes, I try my hardest to follow through any promises made.

Natalie Witcher said...

I literally told God that if anything happened to my children all bets would be off. That's it, I would walk away. Since that threat, we've worked through some of my issues. He is sooo good.

Pregnacy story? All I'm sayin' is ladies, get the epidural for cryin' out loud!