Wednesday, March 5, 2008

THE RITUAL

Have you ever or do you still have a ritual in your life. I think all of us have a little OCD in some way, good or bad.

Roll mental camera…

Getting ready for bed as a kid was ritual city in my room. I had total faith that the boogie man was going to get me unless I took the following steps… religiously… every night… until I was 10. First of all every light had to be turned on. Then a thorough search of the closet and under my bed had to be done. The closet was then shut tightly and a chair had to be placed under the knob. Of course no clothes could be on the chair because as soon as the lights went out those clothes started moving (I swear!!). I would then climb into bed and draw a line on my sheets starting at one shoulder and around the feet and back to the other shoulder. This was the demon demarcation line and would protect me as long as no part of my body left the perimeter. My parents then would place one stuffed animal on either side of my head. The boogie man, you see, was not very smart and if he reached up from under the bed to snatch me he would grab the stuffed animal instead. The lights could then be turned out but the door had to remain open enough to have an escape route if all else failed.

This could have been brought on by my father thinking it was OK for me to watch American Werewolf in London but who knows.

We may not call them rituals but anything we do on a consistent basis is a ritual. It could be our work, happy hour, blogging, who knows. We all know how comfortable that ritual can be. But the fact is, if that ritual is leading us away from God or our families we have got to break free.

What ritual is coming between you and God, you and your family or both?

Did you let you feet hang out of the covers as a kid?
Come on be honest…

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My feet stayed under the covers, brother. No way they'd feel the air.

Anonymous said...

That's interesting...not a very ritualistic person, probably cause I was never in the same place doing the same thing for very long...always changing! I didn't have time to be scared of a boogy man. I tossed and turned, and rolled all over the place...someitmes I'd wake up on the floor

Aaron said...

Rituals between me and God...we'll unfortunatly I'll call my ritual life. I live daily without Him. If I truely understood who He is I bet my life would look so much different.

Theresa said...

At almost 40 I still have to make sure the closet door is closed before bed. :) I'm a one leg out of the covers girl.

Robin Meadows said...

No way....my feet stay under the covers.

I'm not very ritualistic...guess its the rebellion in me to tradition? Don't know...

But, I used to be terrified of the dark...even as a young adult!

Unknown said...

Heck yeah I was horrified, but it was Freddie Kruegar that was coming for me...the bad thing about that was that he did it in your dreams, and I was inevitably going to fall asleep eventually!!! Now I sleep with my feet out and am very comfortable, of course I have a 100+ # doberman, an alarm system, and other security measures now though:)

Kim Heinecke said...

This is dumb but when I listen to talk radio, I feel compelled to say the call letters with them... "news radio (then I chime in) KTOK!"... If someone else is in the car I will still think the letters... O C D...

Natalie Witcher said...

I still don't hang ANY part off my bed. That creepy hand could still come up and get me.

I can let my worries be my boogie man.