Wednesday, March 12, 2008

YA MAN

There are times when certain words or phrases can just wear on you. There are also times when words or phrase makes you want to cram bamboo shoots under your fingernails just to take your mind off of them.


Roll mental camera…


So the thong story from yesterday happened on the island of Jamaica. For those of you who have been there you might relate to this story. But if you really love that island then you might want to stop reading now.

Besides my ravaged feet, Jamaica was not our favorite place a due almost entirely to the phrase YA MAN. I can’t believe how much they say that phrase. I wonder if they say it amongst themselves or if they just bring it out for the tourists. They lay ya man on thicker than the smog in LA (say hi to the Cali bloggers Theresa and Heidi while you imagine that). By noon I was worn fairly slick after having to say ya man no less than 30 times to make the taxi driver happy. Oh and then there was the attendant at the beach, the snack bar person, the endless string of people trying to sell us stuff, the butcher, baker and candle stick maker, all wanting to hear us say YA MAN!!!

By the time we said our last ya man to the shuttle driver at the pier I would have rather walked another hour in those freaking sandals than to say it again. It literally took everything in me just to type those letters.

I also had a client once that every time you answered any of his questions he said toche´, but that is another post all together. No moral tie up today, just had to get that off my chest.

Any sayings people use that bug you to no end?

If someone says “roll mental camera” I will cry and throw a tantrum

Anyone actually enjoy Jamaica and the never ending flurry of ya mans?

These posts have got me vacations hungry, where is your favorite vacation spot?

5 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

haha..funny one, Roger. We love Cozumel! Great snorkeling..and we really enjoyed Acapulco this year.

Overused phrase? From my very own children.."like". "He was, like..." Insert like after every helping verb in any given sentence....you, like, get the idea. ; )

Kim Heinecke said...

I'm bugged by people who think their is a silent H in some words. Uman, Uge, etc. How bout Human and Huge!

Vacation? I like anything...Geez, I can make Target snack bar a vacation! :)

Yes, I am sooo sore today. But I guess that's good!

Theresa said...

I'm with Robin. I detest the "like" phase and then when they add "you know" GRRRRR

"So YOU KNOW LIKE he was really cute." Drives me nuts. LOL

I asm heading out to Hawaii in November. One of my favorite places that I have been though is San Antonio Texas. YA MAN YOU KNOW IT IS LIKE WAY COOL THERE!! :)

Natalie Witcher said...

"um"

oregon!!

Anonymous said...

As a matter of fact ... yes there are a couple phrases/words that I think are overused and have because meaningless: "phenomenal" and "awesome". They just don't mean what they used to.