Thursday, March 6, 2008

SOLVE IT

I am a total geek when in comes to manipulation puzzles like the Rubik’s Cube. But once you solve them they are usually pretty easy to solve again.

Roll mental Camera…

I try and get my hands on every manipulation puzzle I can find just to see how fast I can solve them. Some I can see the solution before I even pick it up. But the Rubik’s cube was always my nemesis. That freaking multi-colored box of insanity frustrated me for years. It was one of the few puzzles I would actually have to hide in a drawer or I would sit and try and solve it for hours. Just when I thought I had it solved I would turn it the wrong way and would be back to square one. I let that square of pure evil do that to me time and time again. So after many years of misery I gave up for good, or so I thought.

That was until Connor my 9 year old got one for his birthday a few months ago. It was on like Donkey Kong. My wife was just about to banish the cube of death when I solved it. At first I thought it was a fluke, but then I did it again and again. I of course had to do my best touchdown dance and spike the cube in my living room.

Have you ever noticed that once you solve a puzzle in your life it is always much easier to do it again. I know I am not going to be sin free, but the older I get and the more times I make those mistakes, the easier it is to fix them and the less likely I am to do it again.

What puzzle in your life have you solved?

What puzzles are still waiting for a solution?

Do I have any Rubik’s cube lovers out there?
I will tutor you in the solution for a small fee

6 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

Oh, yeah....there ARE benefits of getting older...MORE EXPERIENCE! LOL I don't find myself "going around the mountain" as often on many things!

Rubik's? Makes me crazy! I'll take word puzzles.

Anonymous said...

Can't do the cube...only the dew!
learning everyday-love it!

Unknown said...

Can't do the cube either, never actually owned one though that I can think of....Have definatly solved my fair share of "puzzles of life." And yes, I have learned from them...I call them all of my mistakes. The majority of mistakes I made over life, it only took one mistake at, it is the learning from them and using that knowledge to do the puzzle correctly the next time that creates us all to who we are today......A person once said " a wise person is made by making multiple stupid decisions and learning from them"

Kyle P. said...

Roger - great post! Loved the analogy to sin vs. the dang ol' Rubik's cube. That thing is a spawn of Lucifer himself! I could never figure it out, and I'm the type of person that goes obsessively compulsively beserko until I do solve something. Kinda like the helicopter game I posted on my blog. Check it out...if you dare!

Anonymous said...

I've NEVER solved a rubik's. Can't stand 'em. But I get the picture. Good stuff.

Heidi said...

I cannot figure out the Rubik's I have thrown many of them across the room. I just figured out the twisted nails. :)

Love this post and it's real analogy