Monday, March 3, 2008

LAUGH IT OFF

Do you have one of those memories that you wish you could go back and relive? I still have some as well, but I have changed the way I look at most of them.

Roll mental camera…

It was high school basketball season and I was playing a home game. As a sophomore I played both junior varsity and varsity. When we played at home I would always take off my jersey after the JV game to let it dry a bit before the varsity game. This day we were playing one of our big rivals so the house was packed. Coach got us into the locker room earlier than usual and started in with the pep talk. Right at the peak of hysteria he screamed, “now get out there and kick some butt.” That is all we needed to hear and poured out on to the court for warm up.

It was about half way through the 2nd quarter and it was nearly tied. The fans were going crazy and the gym was vibrating with excitement. Coach yells to me to go check in and I ran to the scorer's table and whipped off my shooting shirt. An eerie silence fell over the crowd as a cool breeze chilled my bare skin.

Yep you guess it... In the craziness I had forgotten to put my jersey back on before the varsity game. I had just flashed the entire gym my pasty white body. Time stood still and I think I heard crickets chirping for a moment before the gym erupted in laughter. Needless to say the cheers changed for the rest of that game.

That day used to be a day I would relive over and over because of the embarrassment. I wanted so much to go back and put on that jersey. But as I have gotten older I have laughed it off and realized that it is one funny story. I am so glad I have it to tell. As long as you are willing to laugh with people when it comes to times like these then they will never be laughing at you.

Do you have any memories that you need to finally laugh off?

Brave enough to share any?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, that made me laugh out loud. Thanks, Roger.

I don't really have any horribly embarrassing moments that come to mind. I promise to share if something comes up :)

Robin Meadows said...

This is good Roger...can't think of any myself..but as I've gotten older, things like that just don't seem so big anymore. Isn't it good to get over ourselves? FREEDOM!!

Anonymous said...

That's good stuff! LOL.....

I guess I'll go out on a limb.... I had my shorts removed once while playing hacky sack at our HS graduation practice. It wouldn't have been so bad but that day the only underwear I could find were some tight little purple thing. It's a moment I have played over in my mind more than once. It's great to be able to laugh at yourself :)>.... A couple years later I bared the purple underwear once again on purpose for a College football skit We called "I'm Buster Brown". It was great! We had the whole team rolling.

Kim Heinecke said...

oh, that's funny.
If I did have any of those moments, I've since suppressed them all in my memory! (Break Mental Camera) ha/ha

Natalie Witcher said...

Totally giggling here! I can so see that! I threw myself into the trashcan one summer. IT WAS AN ACCIDENT, SHEESH! :) Thanks for the laugh!

Roger Garrett said...

I Like seeing Red Dawg and Natalie stepping up LOL. Thanks for the comments all