Tuesday, March 4, 2008

CASPER THE FRIENDLY GHOST

So I guess I will stay with the basketball stories for at least one more day. Looking back I am surprised I lived through high school.

Roll mental camera...

Senior year and I was a starter. Our team always ordered a specific shoe for that season through a sporting goods supplier. They always were some design in blue to match our uniforms. I had already worn out a pair and was waiting for another pair to arrive. I was so relieved when the new pair was delivered right before one of our home games. That was until I opened the box. They were the same brand, they were the same style but they were stark WHITE. When I say white I mean every part was white. There was not a single bit of color anywhere on the shoe.

I had no options. I had ripped the tongue out of one of my old shoes and the other had part of the sole coming off. So I had to wear the Casper the friendly ghost shoes. Weird thing is I had one of the best night of my life. I was the leading scorer and hit the last second shot to win the game. But kids will be kids and a majority of them took pleasure in making sure I knew how "retro" or "radical" my awesome white shoes were. A few kids were kind and congratulated me on a game well played and didn't even mention the shoes.

As adults we may not come right out and say things about people we see but our body language tells it all. The roll of the eye, the stare down, the cold shoulder or a dozen other signs we give off that say the exact same thing. I am trying to be more like the few.

Were you one of the majority in school?

How about now?

4 comments:

Theresa said...

In school I was one of the few. Both in good ways and bad. But that is all another story. :)

Now I am just a fleshy human trying to be the best Christ follower that I can be.

Anonymous said...

oh man I was totally one of the majority in many situations, but I ALWAYS had a soft spot for kids who were "less fortunate" or not cool at all. There were times when I was "cool" and other times when I was not at all!

Heidi said...

I was a minority in high school, but that is okay, because now in my life I'm a god chaser and that makes me part of a majority.

I added you to my blog.. awesome STUFF!!

Roger Garrett said...

I want to here the other story theresa LOL
I was the same way Jes
Thanks for joining in and linking Heidi