Tuesday, March 11, 2008

TIGHT THONGS


Nice thong huh? Ok so most people call it a flip flop but I couldn’t resist the title. Have you ever had a new pair of shoes that felt so good when you put them on but then by the end of the day they were tearing you apart?


Roll mental camera…

The cruise I spoke about yesterday was well over a year ago but I can still recall the pain the above pair of THONGS caused me. Before our trip I was introduced to Keens by Gina who loved hers. I decided to buy a pair to take with us. For our first land excursion we just decided to walk around and go to the beach. I had on the Keens and was loving them. But as the day progressed the rubbing started…
Then blisters… then sea water…then sand…
limping… whining… hamburger meat...

What started out to be a fun new pair of shoes turned out to be the government’s newest torture method. It is called the “Sandy Flip Flops of Death” method and if that doesn’t work they actually add a sandy thong into the equation. Walk a mile with a cheese grater wedgy and see how fast you talk.

Seriously, I was not prepared to take on those keens. I wear them all the time now but my feet have had time to get used to them. I should have spent the time to break them in before wearing them for 8 hours straight.

How often do we jump into something thinking we can handle it and it eats us up? Missions are a great example. How often have we gone on a mission to help others but didn’t prepare ourselves for what was about to happen. I have seen people wrecked over a mission and not in a good way. It can shake your faith if you have not prepared yourself.

Do you prepare yourself for situations that could be difficult?

If so how do you go about it?

Any shoes that qualify for government torture?

8 comments:

Aaron said...

i did the same thing as I poured concrete in my newly purchased crocks while on a mission trip...ouch, I have scars to prove it.

Often times I do what you described in this post. Thanks!

Robin Meadows said...

haha....I LOVE my Keens! But they are Bali's. No toe thingy.

OK - tell the cruise. We took our 3rd annual in January, this time from San Diego to Acapulco....love those cruises!

I am SUCH a preparer...I OVER-prepare. Sometimes to the point of leaving God out of the equation.

Thanks for the heads up!

Anonymous said...

I have to say, this is the first blog post titled 'Tight Thongs' with my name included! At first I was flattered... then I saw you were talking about flip-flops.

Anonymous said...

I love sandels, thongs, flip flops....What I hate though is when a random sport gets played at the spur of the moment (soccer, football, frisbee toss) Cause then i end up being the slowest clumsiest on the field because of my....flip flops....also I hate the good 'ol stubbed toe that bleeds for hours. oh well its for the cause.

Natalie Witcher said...

$1 store flips aren't so hot either. Love your blog dude

Kim Heinecke said...

Bandaids...don't leave home without them.

Unknown said...

Travis, just checking in on you here a "Roll Mental"---I bite off more than I can chew quite frequently; luckily I have learned to ask for help though:) Unprepared for my first mission is an understatement though! My first one was in the jungle villages of the Yucatan. It shocked me how the world goes on like some of the problems I viewed didn't exist, it was made worse when I found out that the pastor of one of the churches we were helping rebuild in a different area was arrested for embezzling the churches funds...shaken and shocked, but awakened!!!

Theresa said...

I have a bad habit of jumping into things. I really have been trying to working on it though. :)