Thursday, March 27, 2008

JUST FLOAT


I figured I had one more story in me about the river trip. I am just not sure I could pull any more meaning out of a guy’s weekend. I think I am breaking a man law by finding any meaning in it at all. Something about the brain must be checked with the attendant before departure.

Roll mental camera…


Our group of manly men was getting passed on the river by kids in canoes, teens in inner tubes, an old lady with a walker… the pity. I know, you are thinking how utterly cool we looked walking beside our raft because we were too heavy to ride in it. But I am thinking the people that were staring thought we just looked like utters (pun intended). So I decided enough was enough and lightened the load. I snapped a life vest around my backside and another on my chest, grabbed my favorite canned beverage and floated. The only thing the guys I was with could see of me was the tip of my head and my hand holding my drink out of the water.

It was incredible how my frustrations just melted away when I gave up and just went with the flow. I didn’t try to guide myself down stream I just let it take me. Just laid back and stared at the sky between the trees. No phones, no faxes, no TV, no nothing. Just me and the beauty God created, and I let the river take charge. Thank goodness there were no waterfalls or man swallowing whirlpools, because I would have never even noticed until it was too late. Not sure I would have cared at that moment.

When was the last time you just stared at the sky in wonder?

How often to you give up control and just float?

Peaceful isn’t it…

5 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

Still learnin'. As always, thanks for the visual...the reminder.

Unknown said...

I find myself not only looking up in wonder, but looking at everything in wonder. The closer I grow in my walk, the more wonderous God's creations become to me! I love to just sit back and go with the flow...as you said, us guys like to "check our memory out," I just like to check out very often:)

Heidi said...

Although our posts are similar they are different. With yours you reminded me to feel and experience. There is no other awesome sensation then floating, hearing only the sounds of nature, looking thru the trees.

Great post!!!

Natalie Witcher said...

I love looking at the sky at night. Puts holy fear in me.

deleise said...

I love the idea of floating along. I just need to drown the control freak in me that keeps paddling against the current. She is very strong and hard to hold under, though.:)