Tuesday, July 1, 2008

THE ONE TRUE VOICE

It is not often I learn a life lesson from baseball but tonight I did.

Roll mental camera…

I am the third base coach for our team and I had a runner at third. I told him to listen to my voice and my voice only. If I tell you to run the run your heart out, if I tell you to stay put then stay put.

Now we are assuming for the rest of the story that the 9 year old boy I was talking to was actually listening and understanding what I was telling him. His brain could also have been in Tahiti.

The pitcher throws in the dirt but the catcher keeps it if front of him. The entire crowd thought that the ball had gotten by the catcher and started yelling at the runner to run.
I on the other hand was yelling at him to stay put.

He looked like a rubber gumby doll trying to decide to run or not. The crowd finally won him over and he ran and got tagged out at the plate.

The voice of the crowd can be overwhelming and can drown out the only voice that is important. I feel like a gumby myself sometimes.

Do you have trouble hearing your Head Coach through the crowd?

Last blog fast for the next 24 so see you then…

3 comments:

Heidi said...

so true!!!

Oh yea of course I have problems. I wouldn't be telling the truth.

Happy Fast!!!

Robin Meadows said...

Oh, good one! Wow! This is so what we try to teach our children, isn't it? To not listen to the crowd. How overwhelming it is sometimes.

I'm still working on it for myself!

24? Wow! have fun!!

Anonymous said...

that's good, you always have good, deep thoughts!
Thanks for sharing!