Monday, July 14, 2008

SUN v SON

I used to really love the sun.

Roll mental camera…

I was a young teenager and spent a summer day out at our local water park. I was still bullet proof, as I have mentioned before, so I went without sunscreen. 8 hours in the sun put a kink in my armor.

By the time I got home my chest was bubbled and glowing red like a lava flow. I not only was in mucho pain I also had an allergic reaction to the sun. My chest felt like it was coated in itching powder. Scratching was totally out of the question.

I tried ice packs and sun burn sprays but nothing helped. By dark I was in the emergency room. They had to give me a huge shot Benadryl to stop the reaction. For the next week I looked like I spent time on the Ghostbusters set with all of the aloe my mother slimed me with.

Needless to say the sun was no longer my friend. It felt great while I was in it, but I wasn’t careful and it messed me up.

Even something as life giving as the sun can be destructive. There is only one Son I can immerse myself in forever and not get burned.

Have you spent too much doing something that felt good only to get messed up by it?

How bad have you paid the price for a wicked sun burn?

6 comments:

Kim Heinecke said...

Good one. Nice start to a Monday.cefnn

Anonymous said...

Wicked summer burn? I've been fortunate. But, messed up with other stuff? Oh, certainly. Glad the Son takes care of that stuff.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, done TONS of stuff too much and got burned by it!! Fortunately I have not been so badly burned that it is unbearable, I normally burn and by the next day it is dark;) Gotta love the Sun and the SON!!!!

Natalie Witcher said...

You Funny!

I puffy heart Jesus.

I don't tan, I burn, so yes, I have had many terrible burns.

Anonymous said...

I'm blessed to have been given my dad's olive skin when it comes to tanning. I do protect myself though. I don't want to look like a handbag at 40, lol.

Good insight.

Heidi said...

Had to get a demoral shot for my sunburn three years ago..

Never again.. sunscreen baby!!