Tuesday, July 8, 2008

HEAT IS ON

Summer heat in Oklahoma makes for great story fodder.

Roll mental camera…

We had another double header in baseball last night and it was hot. It has been dry so the dust from the field was terrible. It felt like a dirty sauna out there.

I was enjoying feeling sweat trickle down my back as I coached 3rd base. The dirt was getting in my shoes and sticking to my sweaty feet. I so enjoy grit between my toes. My eyes were burning from the constant sand blasting. And there is nothing like blowing your nose and the result is mud pies. I know the mental imagery is outstanding.

As an old friend of mine would have so eloquently put it “I was sweating like a lady of the night in church.” Of course in his version he used just one colorful word to describe the lady.

But I often find myself feeling like that lady. I too easily forget about God’s grace and let the things I have done or have left undone interfere with my relationship with Him. Just have to keep reminding myself that He is like the cool shower I took after the game. All I have to do is get in.

Do you find yourself uncomfortably gritty?

Do you forget about the shower He always has waiting?

A side note: Shelly thanks you all for the nice words about her photos

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know that I forget His grace, but I do forget to trust Him. Wait, do those two go hand in hand? Anyway, as for the old saying about the "lady of the night" in church. I've heard that my entire life. And, I know how it's really told :-)

Robin Meadows said...

Great analogy, as always, Roger. And Shelly's pictures are GREAT!

Kim Heinecke said...

You just get used to the grit and start thinking this is how things are supposed to be. But the shower...oh, the shower is so good. That's when you know better.

Heidi said...

Wow, I wasn't ready for the end of your post.

Do I love the shower, oh yea!!!

Natalie Witcher said...

My mind used to get gritty with "what if's" and other things I'm not willing go comment about here....

BUT, God is gracious to cleanse me from ALL unrightouesness!!

yea God!

Unknown said...

Sometimes I think; like Kim, that you just start to think the grit is how it is and that you just learn live with it. I think that normally tends to happen to me when I get side tracked or become "too busy" to do the things that matter the most to me and make me feel surrounded by him. But when I step back in to it, it all just washes away!1