Thursday, July 3, 2008

SHEL

I call my lovely wife Shel but that is not the Shel I am talking about. WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS by SHEL SILVERSTEIN is one of my favorite books to read with my boys. My mother used to read it to me and with the same copy from 1974 I do the same.

Since I am going to be lazy over the 4th weekend and not post on Friday I thought I would leave you with one of my favorite poems from the book. If you haven't read these poems to your kids, you should before they get to old to think they are fun.

RECIPE FOR A HIPPOPOTAMUS SANDWICH

A hippo sandwich is easy to make.
All you do is simply take
One slice of bread,
One piece of cake,
Some mayonnaise,
One onion ring,
One hippopotamus,
one piece of string,
A dash of pepper-
That ought to do it.
And now comes the problem...
Biting into it!

Have a great weekend

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love, love Shel. My friend just posted this favorite on her blog:

"scale"
if i could only see the scale,
i'm sure that it would state
that i've lost ounces...maybe pounds
or even tons of weight
"you'd better eat some pancakes -
you're skinny as a rail."
i'm sure that's what the scale would say...
if i could see the scale.

what girl wouldn't love that one?

Enjoy your weekend!

Heidi said...

This brings back so many memories,, I need to go and check out this book again.

Unknown said...

Now that's a classic I need to buy, I loved that book when I was growing up! The stories never get old and they are endless!!!

Theresa said...

Have a blessed 4th!!! That is a great book. One of my childhood favorites! I also love Where that Wild Things Are!

Anonymous said...

Happy Fourth of July!