Tuesday, July 22, 2008

TAKE TWO

I thought I would one one of my first posts again because I am definitely needing the reminder...

Roll mental camera…


My buddies and I were sitting on our bikes one day. I was probably 8 or 9. When what to our wondering eyes should appear, but a dump truck full of dirt. It rolled down our street and deposited a huge mountain of dirt at the end of the block. You could feel the electricity in the air as we all looked at each other with that Evel Knievel spirit. The fact that it sat no more than 10 feet from an intersection with no stop signs could not dissuade us. The fact that it looked 10 feet tall and as steep as Everest couldn’t hold us back. Helmets… we don’t need no stinking helmets. We were determined to jump to glory.

Bike after bike rode up the mound and down the other side. I remember like it was yesterday, launching off of the top of that mound traveling at the speed of light and doing no less than 3 back flips before hitting the ground. In all reality you might have been able to see sunlight between my tires and dirt and that is about it. But there was never a reservation. Never any doubt or fear. BLIND FAITH…

The mound only lasted a few days before the dirt was moved but that feeling has always stuck with me. I want to have that blind faith back and not second guess it. I want to filter out my own logic and reason when faith is concerned. Not the other way around.

Do you have a story of when you had blind faith as a child?

How about as an adult? That is a much harder questions isn’t it.

How do we get it back?

1 comment:

Theresa said...

I loved this story the first time. Being a girl that tried almost everything the boys did. I would have loved that mound of dirt.

Miss Cindy linked us to where we could test to find out our spiritual gifts a few months back. Then after that I started reading more about these gifts that we have.

My top two gifts are Faith and Encouragement. I kind of agree with that. I have always had Faith. It is engrained in me. Sometimes though I wish it was a little blinder. :)