Thursday, July 31, 2008

ENDO

Its like riding a bike. One of those phrases that makes sense only to people who know how.

Roll mental camera...

I was 8 or 9 and was of course a master of the BMX bike. My dad bought one for me at an auction. It was a total wreck of a bike that had spokes on the front wheel and a cool mag like in the picture for the other. The frame had a cool urban paint job, or more commonly known as spray paint.

I was riding down a hill by my house with some friends. One of them said to me that you could stop the bike by sticking your foot on the back of the front tire. I just had to try it.

The result was the front tire stopped but the rest of the bike, including myself, continued to move forward. The bike lingo for that picture above is called an "endo".

So there I was vertical on my front wheel and having no idea what to do next. My balance didn't last but a second and I came crashing back to earth with a thud.

I often believed things that sounded good, right or logical. I paid the price for many of those times. I currently try to make sure I see past the glossy cover and dig into the actual truth. That has saved me a lot of backside if you know what I mean.

Do you check Snopes before you believe an email you read?

Guilty of believing whatever you read?

5 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

I'm just the opposite....I over-analyze things, sometimes missing the opportunity for fun and excitement!

And yes, I always check Snopes. ;)

Great mental picture!

deleise said...

I'm the opposite, too.

I just checked out those bike terms on snopes. Just kidding.

Anonymous said...

As far as e-mails, you know those "forwards" go, I usually dismiss most. As for the bike, however, I'll never forget wrecking my pink Huffy, "Sweet Thunder". Twenty stitches later, I learned not to travel down a dirt road as fast as I could without looking where I was headed.

Theresa said...

I am a snopes checker.

I have a way of looking at a situation and seeing the pain at the bottom of the hill. Sometimes I still try it though. :)

Anonymous said...

Snopes??? In my line of work, I really don't believe everything I read, or hear, or even see. Maybe I'm a little jaded.