Wednesday, July 23, 2008

SHAG

I have the new age shag in my house now but it doesn’t compare to the 70s version I grew up on.

Roll mental camera…

The picture doesn’t quite do justice to the carpet that was in the house I grew up in. Ours was much shaggier. I always felt like I was entering a jungle when I came in the house. Secondly it looks way to clean.

I can still hear my parents scream as they stepped on one of my jacks or dozens of other small pointy toys that were hidden among the ever growing mounds of shag. I swear that carpet consumed things. It hid bits and pieces like an old man’s beard.

I always found myself lying around trying to find all the hidden treasurers that the carpet was keeping locked away. I felt like a monkey you see at the zoo cleaning the fur of another monkey. The carpet always had something new to give.

I look at this two ways. I am the shag that is full of junk and is in need of a good cleaning. Or… God is the shag full of endless treasure that awaits anyone who looks for it.

Depends on the day which way I see it.

Are you the shag or is God?

Do you hide the junk or search for the treasure?

Did anyone else have cool orange shag like me?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the shag. He is the shag. He's the good shag. Me? Working on it. Even the angels in heaven - whenever they come up from bowing down to Him, see something new in Him.

Kim Heinecke said...

Good analogy. Shag carpet is like Captain Caveman who could pull ANYTHING out of his fur...

Theresa said...

We had the 70's shag but ours was the green one!

I think God hide the treasures in me and then he pulls them out and shows them to me.

Natalie Witcher said...

I love digging to see what else I can learn about God. He's the best shag carpet in the universe!